imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-28-2015, 09:23 PM

Default Concealed Carry General

What do you carry? How? What would you like to carry? Any thoughts?

I find myself thinking more and more about concealed carry now that I'm legally able to obtain a CCL, am curious as to what y'all think, carry, any stories you have, etc

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-28-2015, 11:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
What do you carry? How? What would you like to carry? Any thoughts?

I find myself thinking more and more about concealed carry now that I'm legally able to obtain a CCL, am curious as to what y'all think, carry, any stories you have, etc
I have a permit, but I usually don't. I find myself spending a lot of time crossing the river into NJ, which doesn't reciprocate, or in sleepy Bucks County, where there's little need to. Most locals I've discussed CC with say they only carry when they go into Philly, and of the few times I've actually carried, most have been when I go into Philly.

I carry a .38 snub, and I use either a IWB holster or a pocket holster, depending on what I'm wearing.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well, I live in Indiana, so we got great gun laws, but only started carrying after college.

I usually carry a Glock 19 with a spare full size magazine that has a plus 2 base plate. I wear an OWB holster made by Bravo Concealment. Very good solid kydex holsters.

Regardless if it's night or day, I always have my Surefire G2X with me and a knife. I got this old Gerber applegate. Been meaning to get a new one.

I've been thinking of getting a smaller slimmer gun for summer carry recently but with the weather being weird and not hot, I've been passing it by.

Best advice is to do your own research, go to gun stores to get a feel for which one you like. Take all advices from shop owners, cops, military guys and even instructors with a grain of salt. What works for them might not work for you and everybody has an opinion.

If you are a new shooter, I suggest getting some CCW type training and practicing with whatever gun you get. Make sure it works for you. That is important. Does it fit with your clothes? Can you draw it out quickly and into action? Can you reload or deal with malfunctions with it? Try it out at the range. See if the range you go to have guns that you might consider and try those out. Don't just shoot you gun at the range, fight with your gun to test yourself.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-09-2015, 06:27 AM

I've been meaning to get a picture of my EDC together and this gives me the perfect reason to do so. This is what I carry on a daily basis:

The only caveat is that I don't carry both guns (I've done it, but I can count on my hand how many times I have). I either carry one gun or the other. Besides that, I carry everything you see in the picture every day with 5.11 Taclite Pro Pants and an Ares Gear Ranger Belt. Here's a list of everything:

Watch with Paracord Band and Paracord Bracelet (made by me)
Surefire 6PX Tactical with click tailcap and Costa Switchback
1993 SIG-Sauer P228 with SRT and stainless grip screws
Federal HST 124 Grain JHP (40 rounds, 13 per mag and 1 in the chamber)
RDR Custom Kydex IWB Holster for SIG-Sauer P228 (for deep concealment)
Raven Concealment Phantom OWB Holster for SIG-Sauer P228 (for comfortable concealment, starting to use this more now actually)
1977 S&W Model 60 No-Dash with Uncle Mikes Boot Grips
PMC 132 Grain FMJ (15 rounds, 10 rounds per speedloader and 5 in the cylinder)
DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster for S&W Model 60
Leatherman Wave with Bit Kit, Bit Extension, and a Streamlight Microstream in a Leatherman Pouch
3x SIG-Sauer P228 magazines (1 in the gun and 2 extra)
Safariland 079 Concealment Double Mag Pouch in STX Tactical finish to match haircell kydex holsters
Safariland Comp-1 Speedloaders
Bianchi 7301 Speedloader Pouch
Keyring
Sharpie Stainless Steel Fine Felt Tip Pen
8 year old iPod Classic
Samsung Galaxy S5 with Spigen Tough Armor Case (Black) and Spigen GLAS.tR Slim screen protector
Little Black Book
Pack of Gum
Oakley Soft Case and Oakley Hijinx Matte Black with Polarized Warm Grey Lenses
Kershaw Skyline
Maxpedition Micro Pocket Organizer with USB 3.0 stick, spare batteries (AAx2, AAAx2, and CR123x2), bandages, alcohol pads, Blue Force Gear Lip Balm, black BIC Lighter, headphones, eye drops and contact lens case
Glasses
Black bandana
Columbia Extra Capacity Slim Fold Wallet in Black

There are a handful of things I want to and have been trying to change but this is what I carry every day. I'll make a second post with some general recommendations for you while you sit in complete and utter disbelief at my plethora of EDC items.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:04 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Why is your revolver using FMJs and your 228 is using JHPs? Does hollow points not work in your revolver? And even if you use ball, why PMCs?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-10-2015, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Why is your revolver using FMJs...
In short, I use FMJs in my revolver because of its barrel length and its age. The .38 Special cartridge is great when you use hot and heavy hollow point loads out of a 4 inch barrel, but using them in a J frame snub is a different story. From what I have read, the short barrel of a J frame generally does not allow for standard pressure hollow point loads to get moving fast enough to reliably expand in tissue, or to penetrate 12 inches of tissue as deemed necessary by the FBI testing protocol. I've found that you can come close to or exceed the 12 inch penetration and get reliable expansion by using 158 Grain Lead Semi Wadcutter Hollow Point +P loads (LSWCHP+P, what a mouthful), but that's where my guns age comes into effect. Most recommend not using +P loads in small older guns not designed for +P. Some of my other reading shows that many people shoot the 158 Grain LSWCHP+P out of vintage snubs without a problem, and that +P loads today are not as hot as ones that were loaded 30 years ago when revolvers fell out of vogue for this and other reasons, but I'd rather not chance it sine the gun would be a bit hard to replace.

They also make standard pressure 158 Grain LSWCHP loads, but they are just beyond the edge of 12 inches of penetration from what I have seen, and they aren't as abundant in the market as I'd like them to be. I'm also somewhat hesitant to shoot lead bullets through the gun for fear of lead deposits in the rifling. Also, the 158s are also in a different grainage than my current target loads, and I try to standardize grainages/loads for my guns. I could buy 158 grain target rounds in bulk and standardize it, which is what I have done with 124 grain 9mm loads, but grainage does make a significant difference in recoil impulse in J frames being that they are small and not recoil operated. Frankly, I'm just not ready to invest in changing my revolver ammo right now, because of what I've read and because I have been throwing money at other things lately, namely my AR-15. I also want to get new guns that will possibly fill the roles I have set for myself better than the ones I have, which are basically collectibles. The thought of a new stainless pocket gun to replace the revolver and a full size gun to replace the P228 come to mind all the time. That or an extra Model 60 and/or P228.

So instead, I just carry an FMJ to guarantee penetration, as I have read that if you can only have penetration or expansion, it's better to have penetration (reference the 1986 Miami FBI Shootout). I use the PMC loads because they are the target loads I use for practice. I get them for 15 dollars a box at my local shooting range when they go on sale which is the cheapest I have found any .38 Special ammo, and they work 100 percent reliably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
...and your 228 is using JHPs?
I use Federal HST in the P228 because it has the best reputation for penetration and expansion in the market next to Winchester Ranger T (at least the 147 grain loads do), and I can get it in 50 round boxes relatively inexpensively. I don't trust the 3.9 inch barrel to get the proper velocity for reliable penetration/expansion, so I use the 124s to get a little extra speed. I trust 124 grain to work in shorter barreled guns as well, and if I get a pocket 9, then I can use the same ammo for that gun as well. They work 100 percent reliably in the gun too so no problems there.

Here are some protips from what I have written here so far/what I have learned from research and carry:

When buying ammo, consider the length of the barrel you will be firing it from, and how that affects the ability of certain loads to expand and penetrate effectively. You're probably better off using FMJ in a short barreled gun, especially in a "subcaliber" like .38 Special or .380ACP. Additionally, for self-loading guns in general, using FMJ will also inherently eliminate all reliability problems from feeding, granted you have a reliable gun from the start.

Consider standardizing your ammo type in terms of grainage, muzzle velocity and muzzle energy. This will make your target loads mirror the performance of your defensive loads so you can be confident that your gun will behave in the most familiar way possible should you have to use it.

Standardizing is easy if you buy in bulk on the internet and from a similar manufacturer. For example, I have Federal HST 124 Grain JHPs and Federal American Eagle 124 Grain FMJs which are loaded to the exact same velocity and energy numbers, and the case of American Eagle didn't cost significantly more than other offerings in the same grain.

Gun redundancy is something to consider if you are really invested/comfortable with a platform. If your go to is a Glock 19 for example, it might be good to have 2 in case one is out of commission for any reason.

Consider using something cool and patrician (a vintage Model 60 or P228) against using something stock and easy to replace (an run of the mill, current production Model 60 or M11A1). If you choose the former, be comfortable with the possibility that those guns may rust, get beat up, stolen, confiscated after a defensive shooting, or any number of other things that may result from carry. If that's no good for you, get current production stock guns.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:43 PM

^wow thats alot of text, and alot of stuff for edc.

I carry a Smith & Wesson 3913 TSW pre-rail with a 7 round magazine without the finger extension loaded with 7 + 1 rounds of 9mm Hornady XTP JHP rounds standard Novak white dot sights. I don't carry a spare magazine on my person but I keep 2 extra 7 round magazines in the glove box of my vehicle. I carry everyday everywhere and I just don't care to have a lot of stuff in my pockets. I carry it in a clip on leather IWB holster made for the 3913. I carry because of my job and because I know that anything can happen to anyone anywhere and its not going to be me.

As far as what I would like to carry the S&W 3913 in my opinion is the perfect handgun for concealed carry as it is one of the most accurate handguns I have ever fired functions smoothly, has a perfect snag free profile for concealed carry, very limited recoil, great trigger pull. Only drawback is that Smith & Wesson discontinued support for them so its gonna suck when I need to find spare parts for repair, that and its getting kind of rough looking from holster wear. If I can find a 3913 NL/LS for a decent price or a full size 3913 (8 round magazine) for a good price then maybe Id replace it. I actually bought a Glock 26 Gen 4 for a great deal $450 but I never bothered switching over because the 3913 fits me like a glove.

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 07-12-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:56 AM

I wouldn't mind getting a nice shoulder holster, heard they're a bit better if you have back issues

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-13-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I wouldn't mind getting a nice shoulder holster, heard they're a bit better if you have back issues
Alot better for drawing when your sitting in the driver's seat as well. Only real problem is you can never take off your jacket/overgarment.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:38 AM

Shoulder holsters are good for driving and bad for about everything else.
Of most concern is the design. You have to worry about proper fitting to your body, as well as wearing generous attire to properly conceal it.
Most quality models have the gun pointing outward, so you'll be muzzling everyone around you when you walk around with it holstered, and when you draw the gun. You also have the potential to muzzle your support arm as you draw if you don't train extensively. Just as well, most quality shoulder holster options don't offer passive retention models, meaning you will be stuck with an active retention holster and have to fumble with a button to get your gun out. This, combined with the awkward angle of the draw and the leather makeup of the holster makes for a far more complicated draw than waist or other systems. Leather has also fallen by the wayside as a holster material because of its limited lifespan and tendency to retain water and particulate, and the common quality shoulder rigs are leather. A hot Texas climate will amplify all the negative feelings of the design as well.

They are likely to be worse on your back than a waistband holster or other option too. Think about it, you are now taking the weight of your gun and spare ammunition and supporting them with your shoulders and back instead of your belt around your waist/hips. You also have to tack on the weight of the overall rig as opposed to just the holster/carrier, and the pressure that the rig exerts, which could be quite a bit if the rig is tight as it ought to be.

I can see how a cop would like one since they are probably in a car all day and they don't really need to worry about concealment, but they are usually a bad option for concealed carriers, especially in hot states. I've toyed with buying a Galco Miami Classic II a couple of times just to have the option, but I always change my mind because it's just not a useful product, and at its price point I could buy a lot of other stuff that would work much better or be more fun. Suffice it to say, I personally don't recommend shoulder holsters whatsoever if the goal is legitimate concealed carry.