imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 02-28-2011, 05:54 AM

I remember this episode of Family Matters that culminated in a gun buyback program minus the buying part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSrnGMA-C-Q
Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

And it wasn't even a buy back program! They expected you to just turn in your guns for FREE.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-28-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
And it wasn't even a buy back program! They expected you to just turn in your guns for FREE.
What a rip-off!

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
They can do serious damage in a fight though, Id rather restrain a 100 pound meth head than a 250 pound body builder.
One of the hardest fights I ever had was with a 100 lb (est.) female who was a diagnosed schizophrenic and had been self-medicating with Meth for several weeks. I was a rookie officer who made the mistake of thinking that she was "safe" and then leaning into her. She was all happy and grinning until I told her that I believed she was Gravely Disabled (one of the criteria in Idaho to take a person on a involuntary mental hold) and would have to go to the hospital with me.

Ooops.

It was like somebody throwing a lightswitch. She went from friendly to very hostile. She center-punched me right between my eyes and broke my glasses (plastic frames) into two pieces. She then turned around and appeared to be making a beeline towards a wooden block on the kitchen counter. Just full of kitchen knives. She was well within 21 feet of me. 21 feet is considered to be the best (or worst) range for a knife to be it's most deadliest and the police officer's handgun to be the least effective. Needless to say I was surprised.

She may have been tiny and scrawny, but she was damm fast and wrestling with her was like trying to hold - well something really scrawny, squirmy and fast.

I got her into custody. No knives were pulled out of that block and I learned a very important lesson - a few actually.

Anyway the point is I don't want to have to go "hands-on" with anybody if possible. Regardless of their size. When the situation goes to that anything can happen. Many a cop has gotten into a hands-on fight and the suspect has gone to jail, but they have gone to the hospital. Over the years we've had several officers get seriously injured from having to fight suspects. I prefer to keep some distance if at all possible. Pepper Spray and the taser are good for that.

Since we started carrying tasers (2005) I believe I've been in three or four fights. Before that I was in several. Just the presence of the Taser has convined several folks to just go along quietly. I haven't even had to pull it out of it's holster. Despite all the horror stories that the media loves to print regarding the misuse of tasers by police I've seen it prevent more problems just by being present.

Anyway that's my warstory. Have I told that one before? Hope not. It's funny even if I don't come out looking like Supercop. At least both of us are still alive.

Incidentally I saw that woman a couple years ago. Back on her meds, off of the meth, and doing very well. She apologized to me incidentally.

It's a very weird job I have.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:12 PM

My cousin was telling me that while he was a prison guard, he noticed that an extremely violent convict was moving towards him. My cousin put his hand on his mace, and when the guy saw that he ran away fast, as if my cousin had ponted a shotgun at him

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Oh, but they say that you "get your life back"
Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I already got a life. Where did it go and why are THEY giving it back to me?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 03-03-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post

That's stupid

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
That's stupid
That's the understatement of the century

Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 PM

Just watch the first 2 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNuKo...eature=related

Dean Cain.........jeez