imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 PM

Default 5 most important handguns

Im thinking:

Colt Patterson: The first revovler, started the trend to better wheelguns. Got us from break opens to repeaters.

Volcanic Repeater: Desighn was one of first repeating guns, legitamized cartridged ammo back when it was all about black powder, Smith and Weson met on this project and formed their partnership, invented the .22lr, the worlds most popular cartridge.

Mauser c96-
First successful semiautomatic, legitamized its role as a military weapon

Walther p38:
First successful da/sa military weapon, Led to more guns using this back in the day of SAO.

1911:
One of the most popular guns of all time, many features have been incorporated into other desighns, and it is popular in military, LE, and competition/ civilain use also. They are THE american gun.

Waht do you think?

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Im thinking:

Colt Patterson: The first revovler, started the trend to better wheelguns. Got us from break opens to repeaters.

Volcanic Repeater: Desighn was one of first repeating guns, legitamized cartridged ammo back when it was all about black powder, Smith and Weson met on this project and formed their partnership, invented the .22lr, the worlds most popular cartridge.

Mauser c96-
First successful semiautomatic, legitamized its role as a military weapon

Walther p38:
First successful da/sa military weapon, Led to more guns using this back in the day of SAO.

1911:
One of the most popular guns of all time, many features have been incorporated into other desighns, and it is popular in military, LE, and competition/ civilain use also. They are THE american gun.

Waht do you think?
Good list, but like all lists there is always something that somebody doesn't agree. Or perhaps feels that something else can be added.

I would add the P08 Luger. First 9mm pistol made for the military. Though it would be John Browning who would have the final say in the mechanical engineering of semi-autos the 9mm Parabellum was designed for the P08. Admitedly the pistol itself was basically a dead-end in terms if gun design, but the caliber it was chambered for has proven to have some real staying power.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 AM

The gun desighn did almost nothing though, and originally it wasnt even in 9mm, but 30 luger. So i wouldn't count the Luger.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
The gun desighn did almost nothing though, and originally it wasnt even in 9mm, but 30 luger. So i wouldn't count the Luger.
Well that's the fun of these things. You can debate the various guns for - well forever I guess.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 AM

S&W Model 39: The first US designed DA automatic handgun

S&W Model 1: first widely available revolver to use rimfire ammo

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 AM

you must love the volcanic pistol since it started smith and wesson right?

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 AM

Hmm. My $.02:

Colt 1849 Pocket - Not the first revolver, but it really popularised the idea on the commercial market, and was Colt's best selling commercial percussion revolver. In fact I'd have to check the numbers but it was probably their best selling percussion gun period.

FN Browning 1900 - The first handgun with the magazine in the grip and a slide around the barrel, thus setting the stage for pretty much everything that came after it. Also popularised the automatic on the market. Brilliant design too - used the mainspring as the striker spring!

Lefaucheux Model 1854 - The first successful cartridge-firing revolver, adopted by the French navy and widely sold in Europe and North America, and probably did more than any other gun to popularise metallic cartridges worldwide.

Hmm... I'm rushing out the door for a social engagement, but two more when I get back.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:00 AM

Wheellock pistol - There wouldn't be pistols if it wasn't for the original wheellock cavalry pistol, which was a war-winning weapon in its time (and probably the only time a pistol could actually be called a war-winner).

Browning Hi Power - No other pistol has been as ubiquitous, or as widely used, as the Hi Power, and many major nations still issue it today. The Hi Power has also been on both sides of a surprising number of wars since 1935.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:29 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

What about the flintlock pistol?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”