imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-27-2009, 02:16 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default AR-15 recommendations?

I talked to my Dad today, and he's finally proving receptive to something I've suggested for a long time: Buying an AR-15. We're looking to buy an M4 look-a-like, and I'm trying to figure out the options available. In terms of guns that are close M4gerys, I'm aware of:

-Colt Law Enforcement Carbine

-Bushmaster M4A3

-DPMS AP4 Panther

-Olympic Arms K3B-M4

The Colt is probably not going to be an option, due to the cost. I was thinking about buying an Olympic Arms lower and maybe finding an M4-style upper, but what does everyone think? Anyone got suggestions?

(BTW: I also kind of like the OlyArms Plinker Plus 20, only because it looks so much like the M16s that the Canadian armorers use.)

Last edited by MT2008; 11-27-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:06 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Great. That´s what i love of Usa, you don´t need a f%%%ing government decree to buy a semiauto. Btw, i heard the Bushmaster is a bit expensive compared to the others, and that the DPMS is more accurate than the others.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well then it depends on how much are you willing to spend. Ruger just made an AR-15 of their own.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-27-2009, 04:02 AM

For the record, I do not own an M4 but I have done similar research, as I was also looking at getting one, but as of right now I'm back on an AK. I noticed you have one already, so I'll see if I can help with my input.

The tier of ARs (or the one generally accepted by most people) is in the order you have posted the brands. I won't comment on reliability as I've never shot one in a tactical scenario, after it's been dunked in sand or water, let alone all of them, and it seems depending on the brand and the manufacturing of the rifle at the factory, they can be hit or miss. Some work great and some have problems. Just the nature of mass production.

Colt tends to be revered as the "best of the best" as far as they go. However the company is a shadow of it's former self, and so their quality control is kind of shitty. I saw one with poor stamps and some finish blemishes. Still, they are supposed to be good M4gerys, but they are also going to be the most expensive. I've seen 'em for 1400 bucks. I'm convinced they have a lifetime warranty but I'm not sure, and with something that's questionable, like an AR-15, you want a good warranty.

Bushmaster is next, and they are a bit cheaper. Not sure on the M4 style guns but their M16A2s go on sale quite often around here. Seen 'em for like 900-950, and they are pretty good quality. Matter of fact I think their M4s are like that too, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Fit and finish are good, I haven't heard or seen anything to lead me otherwise. Their warranty is about a year though, so if you do ever have problems, they won't help you once that's up. Good guns all in all. GM has one, I'll see if he can't comment on it.

DPMS begins what some consider the "low tier" AR-15s. Some say they use inferior steel/aluminum and the finishes suck. Again, never shot one, so I've never had one fail on me or break, but I held a DPMS and it felt pretty solid, save for the stock which was kind of crappy plastic and funny looking, but that's just my taste I guess. Their Lite 16 and Lite 20s, which are built with the original barrel profile are cheap in price for AR-15s, but some say they aren't cut out for "combat use". Some refute this too, and it's a pretty heated argument. Don't know if anything is ture, or what you want to use the gun for. if you want to just plink, anything works pretty good. Their warranty is 3 years.

Olympic Arms..... where do I start? For the last 10 years people have been bitching about their shitty fit and finish, inferior grade steel and aluminum, poor customer service and horrible track record with reliability, in manufacturing, shipping, service and reliability. I've read more recent reviews and most people who own them will vouch for them as good guns. The company has changed a lot in the last few years, including the removal of cast aluminum receivers which apparently suck. They have a Plinker Plus, which is an M4 with a 715 upper an A2 buttstock, for about 600 bucks. Sounds too good to be true, but a lot of people are pleased with them. Might not be a combat gun, but they don't call it a "Combat Plus." If you go on ARFCOM and ask about this, there will be a thread full of hateful remarks by more or less ignorant yuppies. You'll get one or two honest posts. They seem to have a solid rep nowadays, and best of all, a lifetime warranty. the K3B gets pretty good reviews too, but, and this is with any AR-15, and not just the "cheapos", but buyer beware.

The AR Ruger makes is a Piston design, and therefore, for whatever reason, fucking expensive. They allegedly have AK reliability, but at 3 to 4 times the cost. If you want to splurge on one, get it, but I feel other guns are more high value than the piston guns. Ones I'd suggest further research on are all of the above, and Rock River Arms. I think they have a lifetime warranty as well as decent products so sayeth the people who own them.

Ask about brands around your local gun stores, check prices, check warranties, that to me is very important. Your options depend on how much you wanna spend too, so figure that out too. Hope this helps a bit!
Old 11-27-2009, 04:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

So it's back to what I said. If you got the money, you get the best you can afford.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 PM

Check out Rock River arms, you can set it up how you want and its fairly cheap as far as ARs go.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:22 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Thanks for the suggestions. And I'm definitely not getting the Ruger.

Ideally, I'd like to keep it as close to $1,000 as possible, not much more. Since the Colt LE6920 is so expensive (I haven't seen anyone selling them for under $1,500 yet), I'll avoid that one.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:56 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post

Ideally, I'd like to keep it as close to $1,000 as possible, not much more. Since the Colt LE6920 is so expensive (I haven't seen anyone selling them for under $1,500 yet), I'll avoid that one.
You would probably prefer a new one but used for $875 + shipping & FFL
http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/View...Item=148090533

NIB
http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/View...Item=147803811
http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/View...Item=147807263

BIN $1175
http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/View...Item=148270611

I've thought about picking up one. My Mini-14 will be fine for now. I think there will be some barely used deals in the next few months. So I'll keep waiting.

edit:
Also CDNN has them listed for $1200 plus $150 in accessories 5 mags, cleaning kit etc.

Last edited by predator20; 11-28-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added CDNN info
Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 PM

CMMG has flat tops for cheap

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...shop=1&cat=161
Old 11-29-2009, 05:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

I'll take one of those cheap flat tops. For 600, that's a bargin