imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-05-2009, 04:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default So, who wants an MP44?

http://www.ptr91.com/ptr44.html

I figured it was inevitable at some point. There's also a German company that re-introduced them a few years ago.

Unfortunately, this is the same company that makes those crappy G3/HK91 clones.

EDIT: Oops, my mistake, it turns out they're just the importer. The guns are actually made by Sport Systeme Dittrich in Germany.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:17 PM

Yeah, they've been selling those up here for awhile. They're quite well made (actually, probably better than a real StG-44). They also make an MP-38, MKb-42(H) and FG-42.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:49 PM

Those can be imported? And where would you find the ammo? Cost estimate?

By the way, PTR-91 has a great rep with their G3 clones, the only problem is a heavy trigger which is easy to fix, most people just send it to bill springfield.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:58 PM

I dunno, with every G3 clone, including the PTR, I've heard very good and very bad, kinda like Ar-15s, but worse because there isn't a big enough fanbase to defend it everytime it gets verbally torn to pieces. Never shot any incarnation of the G3 or physically seen any problems or hiccups, so I don't know.

I think it's really neat that they are going to reproduce the MP44, but there really isn't a big market for them. Outisde of intense WWII collectors, I don't see who would buy one. It wouldn't be easy to shoot either with the little to no availability of ammo (like k9870 said). I would also like to know how much a store would charge for one of these things too (again, like k9870 said). Sounds like a good idea on paper but I seriously doubt it will survive the marketplace.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:59 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Those can be imported? And where would you find the ammo? Cost estimate?

By the way, PTR-91 has a great rep with their G3 clones, the only problem is a heavy trigger which is easy to fix, most people just send it to bill springfield.
A PTR-91 is the only H&K style long gun I've ever shot. The trigger wasn't just heavy; it was poorly fitted and actually creaked when dry-fired. Another thing that's annoying is that they come with the "slimline" forearm as standard, which makes getting a good grip difficult. So long, story short, out of the box, you've gotta replace the trigger and forearm, which is annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I think it's really neat that they are going to reproduce the MP44, but there really isn't a big market for them. Outisde of intense WWII collectors, I don't see who would buy one. It wouldn't be easy to shoot either with the little to no availability of ammo (like k9870 said). I would also like to know how much a store would charge for one of these things too (again, like k9870 said). Sounds like a good idea on paper but I seriously doubt it will survive the marketplace.
Well, yes, but this is intended to be a niche product. It's not like they're being produced/imported in huge numbers (unless this SSD company has a production deal with one of the larger manufacturers, which they clearly don't). But there is a decent-sized market out there for people who collect WWII-vintage firearms, including Wehrmacht-issue. For those kinds of people, you can expect a pretty reliable sales base.

As for the ammo issue, remember that while 7.92mm ammo is hard to find in these shores, it's a lot more common in Germany, and this weapon was designed by a German company for German sales. For other European countries that allow semi-auto rifles, it won't be a problem, either.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Fuck yeah, i love that riflem i would buy one of those (if they are better than the GSG-47...).Btw, one guy, in another forum, told us about his grandfather, who fought in the wwII in the german army and, after the war, took all his things and came to Argentina. He took his STG with him, and now this lucky guy have it.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 AM

I heard they were jammomatic pieces of crap. Supposevly it was poor metals at last ditch moments in the war. ALso, it was known to be inaccurate. However, i think if it was introduced earlier and had the kinks worked out it would have potential.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

The weapon had problems, but it was a pretty innovative piece of firepower. If they kept on developing it, it could have helped the Germans a lot

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”