imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 04-23-2013, 05:23 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wierd It View Post
I forget, was this before or after Team America?
I checked, it was right before Team America. It'd be impossible after Team America.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:31 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
My theory has always been that it was conceived of as a Spy Kids knock-off and the script hastily adapted when they got the Thunderbirds licence. It's either that or the standard belief in media that kids can't identify with a movie unless there's a kid character, even though everyone who was ever a fan of Thunderbirds as a kid wanted to be one of the pilots, not some kid tagging along and getting in the way. And I guess it's the same live-action-uber-alles idea that's made Hollywood do any number of cartoon adaptation movies that only really showed why the original was a cartoon to begin with.
"Hey, you know what kids would love? A big budget live action movie based on a short-lived British children's series from the sixties!"
Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Oh, it's bad, but there's also the one part in Atlantis, Arise! where Optimus watches Optimus run towards the Washington Monument, and of course this shot for your dose of "wasn't there supposed to be one more cel here eh probably doesn't matter."
It wasn't just the often shoddy animation. There were a lot of inconsistencies that I noticed as a kid, like why it took them like ten episodes to sort out whether Autobots could fly or not, or why everyone's robot form look exactly the same on Cybertron even though their vehicle forms were different. Watching them as an adult, you notice even more, like the one episode where the Autobots DROVE TO AFRICA in a few hours, or why the wheelchair bound Chip insisted on always going with Bumblebee, the smallest car available. (And on another tangent: Wheeljack and Ratchet could build whole Autobots from scratch, but they couldn't give Chip cybernetic legs?)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Still, it's not nearly as embarrassing as lover-of-all-things-military Michael Bay not knowing which state The Pentagon is in in Revenge of the Fallen, or the plane graveyard in Tucson Arizona being accessible by the back door of the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Still, it's not nearly as embarrassing as lover-of-all-things-military Michael Bay not knowing which state The Pentagon is in in Revenge of the Fallen, or the plane graveyard in Tucson Arizona being accessible by the back door of the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC.
Well, you're the UK, so I understand why you wouldn't know about that massive desert aircraft boneyard at Dulles International Airport. I mean, where do you think they filmed Die Hard 2?

Yes, Transformers 2 might've been 15% better if someone had just handed Michael Bay a globe.

And the most alarming thing about Transformers 2? Someone from the Pentagon actually signed off on that script.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post

And the most alarming thing about Transformers 2? Someone from the Pentagon actually signed off on that script.
Military consultants always sign off on many scripts filled with inaccurate things about the military

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Military consultants always sign off on many scripts filled with inaccurate things about the military
It makes the military look good, it appeals to their target audience, I get that, but I'd like to think there's someone at the DoD film office or whatever it's called with a modicum of taste.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Just saw Oblivion and it's a good movie. I saw the twist a mile away, but didn't see the other twist as well.

Saw the rifle a few times, not close up enough to really get a good look at it but I can tell it's most likely an ACR because of the selector and the lower receiver itself.

I kinda want that sling for my AR on day because of how he easily slung the rifle over his shoulder and it almost snaps onto his back like it was magnetized or something like you see it in a lot of sci fi games.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
It makes the military look good, it appeals to their target audience, I get that, but I'd like to think there's someone at the DoD film office or whatever it's called with a modicum of taste.
Well, obviously he went to The Pentagon in DC to ask permission, not the one in Virginia. Maybe that's the name of a nursery school or something.

"This film will have explosions and jokes about willies!"
"Yaaaay!"
""
Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...for-armageddon

Too good to be true.