imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default M733 in Heat

I noticed the M733 shown in Heat has a brass deflector instead of a slab reliever in the photo above the caps. Is there a particular model or is the ones used in the movie a different model to a standard M733?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 AM

First of all, "slab side receiver" refers to an original M16 upper without a forward assist, which few if any 733s would be built on. Second, 733s are built on whatever parts one can find, there are ones with A1 uppers, 715 style uppers (which is what the robbers all have, A1 sights with a forward assist and brass deflector) A2 uppers, M4 uppers, and similar lowers. The 733 doesn't have a definite criteria, just the 11.5 inch barrel and the collapsing stock.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Ok, just wondering because I refer to the gun photos as references and seeing that they don't quite match up has always confused me.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 02-09-2010, 02:44 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I noticed the M733 shown in Heat has a brass deflector instead of a slab reliever in the photo above the caps. Is there a particular model or is the ones used in the movie a different model to a standard M733?
MPM mentioned on the "Heat" page that his "M733" is not a factory M733 at all. It's actually a "Franken gun" that was built with a converted Colt Sporter II carbine upper receiver with a chopped barrel, on an M16A1 lower receiver. Also, as YNH pointed out, any M16 upper receiver that has a forward assist (but not brass deflector or A2-style rear sight) is M16A1-style, not "slab side".

The factory M733 has an 11.5-inch barrel, a forward assist, a shell deflector and EITHER the A1 or A2-style rear sight. The ones in "Heat" are the older models with the A1-style rear sight.

And actually, there's no being sure whether or not the "Heat" M733s are factory weapons; they, too, might be Franken-guns, which is the norm in Hollywood. However, if they are, then they're closer to the factory M733 than MPM's gun.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:45 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Also, when in doubt, you can always check this chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15_variants
Old 02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Sorry about mistaking the slab sides and the M16A1 receivers. I still have terminology to work out.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Actually if you go by that wiki chart, they don't need to have brass deflectors, so one could be built with an full A1 style upper. As I said before, they are built on residual parts and don't have a definite criteria besides the 11.5 inch barrel and collapsible stock. The chart does say that a 733 isn't built on a flat top upper, which would make any of those a franken gun or a 933, so I was wrong there.

In my eyes, if it has the 11.5 inch barrel, the collapsible stock, and any of the parts that make up the ambiguous 733, it's a 733. Maybe not "factory" but lucky for whoever builds it, it's a random parts gun to begin with, so more or less, MPMs is pretty much an authentic 733.