imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 01-31-2015, 12:57 PM

Default Some questions about further updates

Hello everybody,

I would like to discuss a few changes and updates which I would like to do to the IMFDB and ask if this is ok.

1) I would like to create the following Sub categories: anti tank guns (like 5cm Pak 38 etc), anti aircraft guns (like 2cm Flak 38), combat vehicles (like M1 Abrams, M8 Grayhound etc). Is it ok?

2) I would like to add pages for tanks/amored fighting vehicles which appear in movies (like M4 Sherman which lists all used variants like M4A2, M4A1, M4A3E8). Most movie pages where tanks are used already have them listed, I would like to create a page for each vehicle in the same format as guns have their own pages.

3) After the two steps above I would go over a lot of movies and add the missing armored fighing vehicles (I have quite a bit of DVDs and Blurays) so this would be rather easy for me.

Are those things ok? I know this sounds like a lot of work but I need something to do in the next few months.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:46 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchris View Post
Hello everybody,

I would like to discuss a few changes and updates which I would like to do to the IMFDB and ask if this is ok.

1) I would like to create the following Sub categories: anti tank guns (like 5cm Pak 38 etc), anti aircraft guns (like 2cm Flak 38), combat vehicles (like M1 Abrams, M8 Grayhound etc). Is it ok?

2) I would like to add pages for tanks/amored fighting vehicles which appear in movies (like M4 Sherman which lists all used variants like M4A2, M4A1, M4A3E8). Most movie pages where tanks are used already have them listed, I would like to create a page for each vehicle in the same format as guns have their own pages.

3) After the two steps above I would go over a lot of movies and add the missing armored fighing vehicles (I have quite a bit of DVDs and Blurays) so this would be rather easy for me.

Are those things ok? I know this sounds like a lot of work but I need something to do in the next few months.
Definitely no on the combat vehicles. That's not why we're here. You may continue to point them out as trivia, and of course their weapons should be documented, but they cannot have their own pages.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Definitely no on the combat vehicles. That's not why we're here. You may continue to point them out as trivia, and of course their weapons should be documented, but they cannot have their own pages.
Ok understood, just out of curiousity, the Rules, Standards and Principles says the following:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Rules,_Sta...EARMS_Database

"Though we do list a variety of weapons in the individual movie/TV/anime/Videogame pages, that's just for the sake of being 100% complete for that page. With the exception of grenades (which we do allow), the only weapons which merit an individual page in the GUNS Category are any individual or crew served weapon that fires in a DIRECT FIRE role."

Tanks and such are Crew served weapons that fire in direct fire role.....

But sure you are the admin, I just find it a bit irritating?

It is just my personal passion to identify those military combat vehicles in movies. I can fully understand that this site has its Standards etc, but would it be possible to bend the Standards a bit to allow me to add those military vehicles?

May I proceed with 1) I proposed above for AT and AA guns?
Old 02-01-2015, 01:30 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Ok understood, just out of curiousity, the Rules, Standards and Principles says the following:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Rules,_Sta...EARMS_Database

"Though we do list a variety of weapons in the individual movie/TV/anime/Videogame pages, that's just for the sake of being 100% complete for that page. With the exception of grenades (which we do allow), the only weapons which merit an individual page in the GUNS Category are any individual or crew served weapon that fires in a DIRECT FIRE role."

But sure you are the admin, I just find it a bit irritating?

It is just my personal passion to identify those military combat vehicles in movies. I can fully understand that this site has its Standards etc, but would it be possible to bend the Standards a bit to allow me to add those military vehicles?

May I proceed with 1) I proposed above for AT and AA guns?
I'm not making this decision on my own, this was discussed several times, and the decision was no. Please see here for more.

How many AT and AA guns do we have?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I'm not making this decision on my own, this was discussed several times, and the decision was no. Please see here for more.

How many AT and AA guns do we have?
After a quick search through IMFDB I found the following:

AT Guns:

45 mm anti-tank gun M1937 (53-K)
5 cm Pak 38
7.5 cm Pak 40
76mm ZiS-3
57mm ZiS-2
7.5 cm Pak 97/38
8,8cm Pak 43/41
Type 1 47mm AT gun
Ordnance QF 6 Pounder Gun
2,8cm schwere Panzerbüchse 41
Type 98 AT

AA Guns:

2 cm Flak 38
2 cm Flak 38 "Flakvierling"
8,8cm Flak 18
8,8cm Flak 36
8,8cm Flak 37
M1940 (72-K) Soviet 25mm Anti Aircraft Gun
M1939 (52-K) Soviet 85mm Anti Aircraft Gun
37-mm M1939 (61-K)
37-mm V-11 twin
Bofors 40mm
Oerlikon 20mm Cannon
20mm Type 98 Anti Aircraft Cannon
Enfield 13-pdr 9-cwt Mk I, 3
M51 Quad
Type 98 AA

There is definately more and those pages do need some clean up and/or additions.

Naturally I will go over all pages and add what is missing/needs updates.

There are also more guns in movies, I have quite a bit of Blurays and can add them.

Last edited by Hchris; 02-01-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Ok understood, just out of curiousity, the Rules,
No they aren't, they are vehicle which have weapons mounted to them. If you have a Land Rover with an M2HB on the back the Land rover isn't a weapon is it? As FCM stated this has been discussed before and quite simply it is outside of the scope of what we do. If we started doing that then we would logically have to start making pages for and identifying every plane, helicopter and vehicle with a weapon mounted on it which is not what the Internet Movie Firearm Database is about. If you want a place to do that there are other sites which cover this such as the Internet Movie Plane Database and the Internet Movie Car Database.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
No they aren't, they are vehicle which have weapons mounted to them. If you have a Land Rover with an M2HB on the back the Land rover isn't a weapon is it? As FCM stated this has been discussed before and quite simply it is outside of the scope of what we do. If we started doing that then we would logically have to start making pages for and identifying every plane, helicopter and vehicle with a weapon mounted on it which is not what the Internet Movie Firearm Database is about. If you want a place to do that there are other sites which cover this such as the Internet Movie Plane Database and the Internet Movie Car Database.
OK understood, then I will go for the AA and AT guns.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:17 PM

Started with the clean up and adding missing guns.

Could somebody please help me to change the names of the following pages to standardise them? (I cannot change them, can I?) Currently there are several different formats used for the designations. I will then update all the movie pages with the correct names and links etc. and after that add the missing pages so each gun has ist own page in the same design.

(Those are the official designations)

OLD NAMES --> NEW NAMES

45 mm anti-tank gun M1937 (53-K) --> 45-mm anti-tank gun model 1937 (53-K)

37-mm M1939 (61-K) --> 37-mm automatic air defense gun model 1939 (61-K)
5 cm Pak 38 --> 5 cm Panzerabwehrkanone 38 (5 cm Pak 38)

7.5 cm Pak 40 --> 7,5 cm Panzerjägerkanone 40 (7,5 cm Pak 40)

FlaK 38 --> 2 cm Flugabwehrkanone 38 (2 cm Flak 38)
Old 02-06-2015, 07:48 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Started with the clean up and adding missing guns.

Could somebody please help me to change the names of the following pages to standardise them? (I cannot change them, can I?) Currently there are several different formats used for the designations. I will then update all the movie pages with the correct names and links etc. and after that add the missing pages so each gun has ist own page in the same design.

(Those are the official designations)

OLD NAMES --> NEW NAMES

45 mm anti-tank gun M1937 (53-K) --> 45-mm anti-tank gun model 1937 (53-K)

37-mm M1939 (61-K) --> 37-mm automatic air defense gun model 1939 (61-K)
5 cm Pak 38 --> 5 cm Panzerabwehrkanone 38 (5 cm Pak 38)

7.5 cm Pak 40 --> 7,5 cm Panzerjägerkanone 40 (7,5 cm Pak 40)

FlaK 38 --> 2 cm Flugabwehrkanone 38 (2 cm Flak 38)
I agree we should standardize the formatting with the names, but the full names seems a bit much. I have no problem with PaK or FlaK. If you want to create redirects with the full names, that's fine.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 PM
IMFDB Admin

As this is an English language site I think we should use a period for decimalisation even if the original language doesn't. Also, the abbreviated form of the page name is sufficient particularly as it is something that people need to be able to type in relatively easily. For example my opinion is that the page for the Pak 40 should simply be titled "7.5 cm Pak 40", but the description shows the full name, just like it currently does. Lastly, I do not think it is a good idea to use dashes after the caliber in some weapons and not in others as it appears totally arbitrary and would look odd on a category listing.