imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 02-13-2009, 12:48 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default I think Pheonixent may have solved the problem with gun pages!

You know how we've had a lot of troubles with gun pages' format getting messed up? Particularly the 1911 page, where you have gun pics overlapping gun entries that they don't match?

Well, I noticed on some of Pheonixent's movie pages that he uses the <BR> command, and this will automatically space things, regardless of what alignment you choose. See, for instance, his page for "To Hell and Back", here:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=To_Hell_and_Back

Study the code and you can see how he did this. Now that we know this, I'm gonna see if I can make some of the gun pages look better.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

I knew that was the format on Myspace but I never figured it worked on this site. I liked MPM's idea personally, why do we have to move the gun pics to the right when they fit much better on the left. - ~~~
Old 02-13-2009, 02:44 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I knew that was the format on Myspace but I never figured it worked on this site. I liked MPM's idea personally, why do we have to move the gun pics to the right when they fit much better on the left. - ~~~
Isn't it more aesthetically correct? I mean, when I look at a gun page, it seems to make more sense that I can see the picture and the movies it was in at the same time. Whereas when you have the "None" image alignment, you can only fit so much info on the page.

Also, MPM only did that to prevent the format from getting fucked up. If we can fix it, why not do so?
Old 02-14-2009, 05:04 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Isn't it more aesthetically correct? I mean, when I look at a gun page, it seems to make more sense that I can see the picture and the movies it was in at the same time. Whereas when you have the "None" image alignment, you can only fit so much info on the page.

Also, MPM only did that to prevent the format from getting fucked up. If we can fix it, why not do so?
Heck I don't care. It looks great now. I don't mind and all the other gun pages have the pics on the right. And as long as any NEW update doesn't screw up the entire page ... I'm happy.

You know guys ... keep this a secret ... but one of my goals is to take a custom pic of every model on the page ... turning it into a 100% licensed IMFDB owned image page.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:47 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
And as long as any NEW update doesn't screw up the entire page ... I'm happy.
And I assure you, it won't do that from now on. The <BR> command solves that problem. Plus, I think having the gun images on the right just looks better for some reason - from an aesthetic standpoint, it works out better.

I'm going to work on the M16 and MP5 pages next and do the same thing, although neither of them have the problem quite as badly as the 1911 page did.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:31 PM

Just to add something to this, I've found that people have a general dislike of the poster image forcing the first gun's text to the left of the page, and tend to do it like this:

Quote:
[[Poster_image.jpg|thumb|right|400px|The Title]]<br><br><br><br>etc
Thing is, this forces the table of contents down too, and this doesn't look great; if the movie's poster image is big, the table can be forced right down so it's barely on screen when the page loads. Here's a better way:

Quote:
[[Poster_image.jpg|thumb|right|400px|The Title]]__TOC__<br><br><br><br>etc
That's two underscores either side of "TOC." This forces the table of contents to appear before the new line breaks, on the same line as the poster art. The difference is the first gets you this while the second gets you this.

Last edited by Vangelis; 06-21-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
That's two underscores either side of "TOC." This forces the table of contents to appear before the new line breaks, on the same line as the poster art. The difference is the first gets you this while the second gets you this.
Great idea adding _TOC_ to the end. It goes with the code that MT2008 added <br clear=all> that got rid of all the <BR> on a page. It is amazing how IMFDB is getting this new influx of ideas to improve the pages one step at a time. I will change over the pages that I created tonight.

Thanks Vangelis for the improvement
Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
Great idea adding _TOC_ to the end. It goes with the code that MT2008 added <br clear=all> that got rid of all the <BR> on a page. It is amazing how IMFDB is getting this new influx of ideas to improve the pages one step at a time. I will change over the pages that I created tonight.

Thanks Vangelis for the improvement
No problem. Don't forget it's two underscores at either end, ie __TOC__ rather than _TOC_.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:42 AM

Sweet stuff, Vangelis.
Where you been all our lives?