imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-16-2009, 04:14 PM

Default What do you think are going to be the advancments in firearms in the near future?

I don't see gun desighn changing much, i see ammo construction being the biggest changes. There will be cool new ammuntion.

I see some gun ideas that may come up though:

The ruger LCR is popular, selling like hotcakes and apparently the polymer REDUCES recoil. I think ruger will make larger polymer frame revolvers.

Smith and wesson will probably finally yield and drop the internal lock.

The trend for pocket guns and lighweight carry will continue with more companies making small guns.

Yet another company will introduce a 1911 and ar-15.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:43 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I hope for more development in caseless ammo firing weapons.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-16-2009, 05:37 PM

I think electric priming will make a reappearance. It's actually a great idea, Remington tried it I think 15 years back but botched the execution / marketing.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Didn't H&K made working prototypes of caseless firing rifles? The G11 right. I think it was because it's too expensive to produce

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 12-16-2009, 07:28 PM

I know the original G11 project was canceled when East Germany collapsed and the West German government needed the funds to put the country back together.

A modified version, the G11K3, was entered into the US Advanced Combat Rifle trials, but I heard it had issues with frequent cook-offs.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I don't anticipate a whole lot of big new trends that amount to anything besides accessories. Modularity and accessory rails have been just about the only major trend in firearms design for the last 10 years (and personally, the extent to which people are going crazy with "ridicularizing" their guns makes me nostalgic for the days when nobody could even pronounce "Picatinny"). I expect that we'll probably see some more advanced sighting systems (including cheap, affordable computerized rangefinders) and stuff like that, but not a lot else.

It's possible we'll see a trend of more handguns firing PDW ammo like the 5.7x28mm, but so far, that hasn't happened, even though the Five-Seven pistol has been around for over 10 years (and the P90 for almost 20). Then again, it might take some time; look how long it took before Wonder Nines caught on (the Browning HP was designed in the 1930s, but it wasn't until the 1980s that Beretta/Glock/SIG-Sauer pistols started to eclipse revolvers amongst civilian and LE/military shooters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I know the original G11 project was canceled when East Germany collapsed and the West German government needed the funds to put the country back together.

A modified version, the G11K3, was entered into the US Advanced Combat Rifle trials, but I heard it had issues with frequent cook-offs.
Even if German re-unification hadn't got in the way, I'm pretty sure that the G11 wouldn't have been adopted. Caseless ammunition is, fundamentally, still very shaky tech. H&K solved a lot of the issues with cook-off in the G11, but the other problem was the fact that mechanically, the G11 was just way more difficult to produce and maintain than a traditional assault rifle.

During the ACR trials, the U.S. Army reached pretty much the same conclusion as the Bundeswehr. And this was back in the days when the Cold War was just ending and the DoD had more flexibility to allocate its budget to R&D. If the G11 had any chance of being adopted, it was with us, not the Germans. And even we didn't want it.

Last edited by MT2008; 12-16-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:56 PM
IMFDB Admin

It's also pretty a pretty fugly weapon system

Old 12-16-2009, 08:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
It's also pretty a pretty fugly weapon system
Yeah, but lots of "ugly" ducklings turn out to be swans in military service (like the A-10, my personal favorite).

It'll be interesting to see if caseless ammo makes a return in the future, but I doubt it. Western and Eastern Bloc armies spent 30 years trying to make it work, and no go.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 PM

Does caseless ammo even present a real advantage?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 PM

I hope companies will keep making metal framed pistols. I don't like polymer pistols at all (The FNP is O.K, but I would like it more if their was a metal framed model)

http://www.introvertisland.com