imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 04-18-2010, 05:14 AM

Default My Fantasy Book

As you may've been noticing, I haven't updated my mercinary story. That's because I decided to put it on the shelf to gather dust. In th meantime, I'm writing a Tolkien-esque fantasy. It's called The Swordsman's Apprentice (and it is not a rip-off of The Sorcerer's Apprentice). It's about a young man named Salogel Bloom, the son of a blacksmith and a milk madien, who is taken under the wing of a master swordsman and swordsmith (named Benago Rogue). The two men, along with Garit, a bowman and hunter, are given a task by the forest elves to warn a nearby kingdom of men of an invading gobin army. They are followed by the younger sibling of an elven princess. Along the way, they meet friendly allies (like Cablos the Minotaur) and fearsome foes (such as timberhawks and leech serphants).
Old 04-19-2010, 02:10 AM

I've waited all the for a single comment, but nobody has dropped in on this thead to comment. So I'll get your attention by describing the creatures.

Timberhawks - The name is a combination of the words timber wolf and hawk. The Timberhawk is described as being very large, approamatly ten times larger than a golden eagle. It is a hideous relative of the osprey, having the wings of a bat, the tail of a rat, and the beak of a buzzard. It's screech is so loud and horrid, that it causes pain to one's ears (sometimes making them bleed). It feeds off of hares, goats, and haddock. The group encounters them while resting in the Carron plains, where three of the birds try to make off with Salogel's pony and Garit's mare. The birds are driven off thanks to Garit's archery skills.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
I've waited all the for a single comment, but nobody has dropped in on this thead to comment. So I'll get your attention by describing the creatures.

Timberhawks - The name is a combination of the words timber wolf and hawk. The Timberhawk is described as being very large, approamatly ten times larger than a golden eagle. It is a hideous relative of the osprey, having the wings of a bat, the tail of a rat, and the beak of a buzzard. It's screech is so loud and horrid, that it causes pain to one's ears (sometimes making them bleed). It feeds off of hares, goats, and haddock. The group encounters them while resting in the Carron plains, where three of the birds try to make off with Salogel's pony and Garit's mare. The birds are driven off thanks to Garit's archery skills.
Timberhawks: Nature's clay pigeon

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 04-19-2010, 05:06 PM

How does magic work in your fantasy world?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Sorry Alcatrazz, but there is little or no magic in my fantasy world. One of the magical things that's in my story is that elves are immortal and can only die in battle or a broken heart (I based my elves on Tolkien's elves). The group runs into the elves when in the northern forests. They have just found Garit's cousin, Gamlet's, lifeless body, covered with briuses and scars. While Garit mourns and cradles his cousin's body in his arms, Salogel notices that Aesop, his pony, is whinnying very loudly. He goes outside to investigate and runs smack into an elf, frighten with fear. The elf is being chased by a grotesque goblin armed with a scimatar. Salogel draws his sword and impales the goblin with it. Garit comes out and holds his bow on th goblin, telling him that he will ease his passing if he tells him the name of Gamlet's murderer. He sputters out the name Srunt, and Garit drives the arrow into his heart.

(NOTE: This section will be continued in my next post)
Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 PM

Are the elves pansies like in LOTR or are they ferocious, albiet hilariously diminutive, warriors?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 PM

They are the latter.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Are the elves pansies like in LOTR or are they ferocious, albiet hilariously diminutive, warriors?
The LOTR elves were certainly not pansies...
Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatrazz View Post
The LOTR elves were certainly not pansies...

Isn't Orlando effin' Bloom (the purest form of pansy) their greatest warrior or something like that?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:52 PM

Hugo Weaving and Craig Parker would like to have a word with you...