imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I have a hard time telling on Glock to another, unless I get a good look at them, which usually we don't get them

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-18-2010, 04:15 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I have a hard time telling on Glock to another, unless I get a good look at them, which usually we don't get them
Yeah, sometimes I still confuse them myself, but overall, I usually find Glocks pretty easy to tell apart. Or at least, I find it pretty easy to tell full-size Glocks from compacts and sub-compacts. Or a G17L from a G34.

What I can't do - and what is really hard - is telling calibers. Generally, I assume a Glock in a movie is a 9mm (unless I have inside information on the particular show), but there are some Glocks that look like .40-caliber models and I have difficulty being sure.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:28 PM

a few members identifies glock 20s, which seems strange theyd actually be in a show. 10 mil and all.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:33 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
a few members identifies glock 20s, which seems strange theyd actually be in a show. 10 mil and all.
I think they're probably wrong. I might be wrong myself, but I'd really be surprised if there are any Glocks in 10mm in any prop houses' inventories. Probably 95% of the Glocks they have in their armories (and that you've seen in your favorite movies and TV shows) are 9x19mm models, with maybe a handful of .40-caliber and .45 ACP models.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:01 AM

10 bucks says more glocks in 10mil than .45 GAP though.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

If R Lee Ermy is advertising people to buy the .45 GAP, I'd say more people have bought the GAP

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-19-2010, 03:04 PM

45 GAP....now is that an awful idea or what. What was the purpose again?

The g20 is actually somewhat popular. But hey, just because a guns popular doesn't mean it will be in movies. I see on the cz-75 page its been in a grand total of 8 movies. That is a popular gun. Then you see common gangsta thugs pulling out a new m92 fs when they should be drawing a hi point or lorcin.

Last edited by k9870; 02-19-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:52 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
The g20 is actually somewhat popular. But hey, just because a guns popular doesn't mean it will be in movies.
The issue is how reliable the gun is when blanked. It took armorers decades to figure out how to make .45 ACP 1911s work reliably with blanks, which is why 9mm copies (like the Star Model B and Colt Mark IV Series 70) were often used as stand-ins whenever the guns were actually fired.

Not sure how reliable 10mm is when blanked, but remember that Don Johnson's Bren Tens used in Miami Vice were all re-chambered to shoot .45 ACP blanks, both because 10mm blanks were non-existent and because it would have been difficult to make them work. I would guess the same problem applies to the Glock 20, which is why I wouldn't expect to see any of them in movies.

Quote:
I see on the cz-75 page its been in a grand total of 8 movies. That is a popular gun. Then you see common gangsta thugs pulling out a new m92 fs when they should be drawing a hi point or lorcin.
Without disparaging the site...looking at IMFDB's gun pages is a poor way to tell. Especially since our gun pages are often incomplete due to the lack of cross-indexing (an issue that MPM has drawn our attention to). Click on the various pictures of CZ-75s that we have, and see how many pages they appear on. That's at least a better way to get an idea of how many movies a gun might have been in. But even then, far from complete.

I imagine the CZ-75 is much more common in movies made in Eastern Europe because the armorers in those countries would have more of them in inventory (I've seen a handful of war movies filmed in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Bulgaria, and Hungary that use them).
Old 02-19-2010, 06:05 PM

Its more a datapoint, you look at m92fs and see all the movies its in, and thats not even a complete list. Im still waiting for a thug to pull a hipoint c9 though.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 PM

In a spiritual sense, the CZ-75 is in a lot of things, because so much stuff is based on it.
I'd count every single Jericho as a half-CZ-75!

I meant more blank firing 10mils than blank firing 45 GAPs.

R Lee Ermey probably doesn't win over that many people. Those who know of and respect him, are probably well informed enough to not really need a 45 GAP. And those that don't, probably don't care.