imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 06-19-2009, 11:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Equilibrium

I remember watching this movie a long time ago and it was the first Christian Bale movie I've seen with him. It kicks ass with the gun kata and the sword play though it was a bit short.

I've seen people thinking it's a Matrix rip off because it came out the same time Reloaded came out, but aside from maybe the clothing and the setting of the last fight scene, it wasn't a rip off at all. There was no bullet dodging and no computer program taking over the world. It was more like an idea based on Fahrenheit 451 with that book burning scene, except replace books with emotions. Or something like a 1984 kind of setting.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 PM

Yeah awesome movie.
First movie I saw that had Christian Bale in it also.
The cleric uniforms were actually based off of 19th century clerical dress.

I don't really see what is so matrixy about it(maybe a little bit), there was no slo-mo used in the film whatsoever.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:21 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

"The Matrix" comparisons strike me as superficial, in part because "Equilibrium" is, frankly, so cliched that you could compare it to a LOT of movies and novels.

That being said, it definitely has lots of appealing aspects of its own. I can see why it has such a cult following.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I guess some people just dont like a little gem in the low budget industry and it was simply bad timing. I mean, sure the movie was very cliche in some respect, but it was a good movie.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 PM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

I liked it better than the Matrix because it takes place in the real world. Sure, it's a fantasy world, but still. I have always had issues with virtual reality flicks, especially when the virtual reality can kill you in real life. When Neo was spitting up blood from a virtual reality fight, I just rolled my eyes.

Equilibrium however makes a one man army of a law enforcement officer feel very plausible. The Gun Kata makes, basically a super hero, seem plausible in a way very few movies do.

I thought it wore it's influences honestly, for what that's worth.

The mix of dressed up guns with non dressed up guns was a bit jarring for gun freaks like us, and we're also the only ones who notice the trigger guard changes and such too.

The first time I saw it, the scene toward the end, when Bale's character goes "flatline" I honestly got chills. The last action movie that gave me chills like that was the first Die Hard, when they were shooting up all the glass.