imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 06-01-2009, 10:00 PM

My GFs dad has an 1895 guide gun 45-70. Said its quick handling, drops anything hes hunting, and kicks like a mule with heavier loads.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:04 PM
IMFDB Admin

The thing I don't like about newer Marlins is that there side ejection port allows a scope to be added, but it makes the guns look so UGLY.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
He fired them with one hand but he never fired two at a time.
Ah, my mistake. But, still, I can't imagine trying to hold a fire a full-sized .308 M14/M1A one-handed, much less firing it. But, for the record, I'm 5'11' and 215 lbs, not 6'5" and 270 lbs, so who knows.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman

Last edited by Spartan198; 06-02-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:26 PM

This might not be nearly relevant, but I sort of vowed to never use the phrase: "kicks like a mule" until I get kicked by a mule(or donkey/horse, whatever).
Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 AM
IMFDB Admin

Well, the term is grossly over-exaggerated. If you were kicked by a mule, you could likely break a bone and be knocked down but even the 600 Nitro, the biggest bang for your buck, isn't capable of this.

And if you get kicked by a mule and are severely injured, you may never get to shoot again, so use the term while you still can!

I always was humored by the thought that when you fired a large gun, the stock would open and a spring loaded boot would launch out and KICK you, cartoon style.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 AM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

Here are some of my favorite "gun movies" in NO particular order.

Escape from New York

Appleseed (the first CG version)

Open Range

Dead Bang

HEAT

The Shootist

3:10 To Yuma (the remake)

Die Hard (first one is still the best one IMHO)

Aliens

True Grit

Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Hard Boiled

Quigley Down Under

Running Scared (the old one, with Billy Crystal, was funny and had some action in it)

Ronin

The Getaway (I'm one of the few people who likes both versions. LOVE the original)

I could go on and on.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Actually, Appleseed Ex Machina was better than the first one since it had more shooting action and was produced by the master of gun shooting movie, John Woo.

See for yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a7J9_cpLqM

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

Oh man, I forgot to add westerns.

Quigley Down Under was great with that with pro-gun guy Tom Selleck in the lead, although the writers must have been pretty big rocking chair commandos, since whenever someone is hit by a .45-110 round from the Sharps, he is launched through the air. I have to add to that page, I missed some stuff (it was the first page I ever made with screencaps BTW).

True Grit is one of my all time favorite films, although Kim Darby's acting sucks.

Open Range was a realistic western except for the 16 shot revolvers and the people being thrown around. I liked it but this stood out a bit.

The Shootist was a good film, although it wasn't neccessarily realistic. It has a lot of the the movie themes present that fill the spot where realism goes.

The new 3:10 to Yuma was an excellent film, mainly because Thell Reed taught the firearms training. It was also very authentic, although some editing problems gave a double barreled shotgun the ability to fire three rounds.

Of all gun movies, two stand out as the best, and that is Heat and Collateral. Michael Mann is an excellent director and his favoring of weapons training makes the movie much better. I think Tom Cruise handled firearms in Collateral better than any actor I've seen in previous films.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:07 AM

I have Quigley, Have the Dirty harry box set, 310 to yuma, and a few of the listed ones. Ill be picking up a couple movies soon.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

I just got Quigley Down Under back from someone who I let borrow it, so I might add some caps on Friday (I missed the bootpistol used at the end). And some good Sharps images couldn't hurt.