imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
At least the movie version deserves mention. And the revolver.
I agree that the movie version does need mention.

I think however that the Doom movie gun page needs to be restricted to ONLY the Doom movie gun and not any of the videogames.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
At least the movie version deserves mention. And the revolver.
But really, it should be no more than that, I think.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Just make a trivia mention on the Doom movie page itself. A lot of people do that in other pages.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-24-2009, 04:41 AM

So we are Nuking that godforsaken BFG page ?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:00 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I sure hope so

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
So we are Nuking that godforsaken BFG page ?
No, we're not. Go find a page that actually needs some work doing to it rather than complaining when someone puts a lot of work into something that doesn't appeal to you personally. If MPM won't delete Einhander on the basis the contributor put in a lot of effort, there is no basis whatsoever for doing anything to the BFG page.

Last edited by Vangelis; 08-24-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 AM
IMFDB Admin

I'm the one who wouldn't delete Einhander because I'm too fucking nice. It probably should be removed.

But the BFG page is no big deal, I think this is getting blown too far out of proportion.

How about we search the site for pages that can be prioritized as 100% uneccessary with little to no effort instead. Tim put plenty of effort into building the BFG page, so let him have it.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:35 AM

Yeah nuke Einhander as well.

Just because someone put alot of work into a page does not negate the fact that it does not belong on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
Go find a page that actually needs some work doing .
Honestly though pages like the BFG in my opinion are the types of heaping piles of crap that need to be prioritized in their elimination from this site more than any other page.

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 08-25-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Honestly though pages like the BFG in my opinion are the types of heaping piles of crap that need to be prioritized in their elimination from this site more than any other page.
Sure. Much worse than, say, an article about an anime series dedicated to showing panty shots of underage girls while simultaneously insulting the memory of more or less every major ace fighter pilot of the Second World War. The one in the last two M1919 shots is supposed to be twelve, for Christ's sake.

Ask yourself, though: what is someone going to want to see when they click on a link to a page about the BFG? Answer: more information about the BFG. It happens there is a lot more information about it than could sensibly be contained in a movie article, and of the things I'd imagine most people would be interested in is comparison of the original to the prop; the BFG is unique in that there are six previous versions, which all work differently. While it's closer to one of Gunmaster's trivia articles than a regular gun article, documenting the incarnations leading up to the one seen in the movie provides context for the prop version; if I get around to getting a couple of extra screencaps of the movie version actually firing, it can also be used to explain one of the errors in the movie depiction [that either Doom BFG would have killed Reaper even if he dodged as depicted].

Really, expanding on influence, history and construction is the best thing to do on fictional weapon pages, since very few of them appear directly in any other movies [let alone have animations lifted verbatim from one game to another one in an entirely seperate series made by another company, as per the Half-Life: Opposing Force Displacer using the BFG explosion animation]. Since this one started out in a videogame it's rather backwards compared to most, but certainly it's within the scope of good article construction to show the various things that the movie prop is supposed to be another version of, and describe how they work compared to it.

I should also add that the first BFG was apparently also a prop, though I haven't been able to find a picture of it; Doom's weapons were digitised from photographs of the chief animator, Kevin Cloud, holding them. The pistol and shotgun were toys they got from their local Toys 'R' Us, the chainsaw was real [it belonged to Creative Director Tom Hall's girlfriend], and the rest mock-ups. This is the real Doom chainsaw, in fact.

John Romero says they kept it in a bowl because it leaked oil.

Also, MPM did say Einhander should stay, I thought I remembered that right. From my talk page:

Quote:
I would err on the side of caution. I would probably NOT delete the page if there is ONE verified real gun on it. We can't seem like hypocrites. There are movie pages on IMFDB which have only ONE gun on them, but they're still there. As long as the page look decent I wouldn't worry about that particular one.

RE: fantasy weapons in general ....... The author of Einhander, should, realize though that IMFDB strives to identify REAL GUNS, not fake guns. I had a list of the criteria of fake guns that we accept (a) it must be something based in real life (b) It must be realistic enough to confuse the general public who might 'wonder' of it is based on a real gun (c) It must be a fantasy weapon with a real gun inside (movies/tv only) or (d) there must be something about the weapon which will make the public think it's real or possibly real. That is why we have an entry for ERASER's rail gun. Too many idiots in the general public kept on asking us "Is that for real?" But something like a Star Trek phaser is off limits. No one in their right mind would think that's real or based on a real weapon. Hope this helps. MoviePropMaster2008 19:09, 13 June 2009 (UTC)
I'm fairly sure if the Eraser EM-1 passes the 'might be confused' inclusion test, the movie BFG does too, and there appears to be some consensus that this could be considered the case for the BFG prop. The rest is trivia related to it; it's neither inaccurate nor misleading, and is therefore at worst harmless fluff, not the kind of thing worthy of crusading against.

Last edited by Vangelis; 08-25-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
No one in their right mind would think that's real or based on a real weapon.
That right there negates the BFG on IMFDB, even the film version.
They fired off balls of green plasma, no-one in their right mind would think that is real!!!
Stuff like that is akin to Alien Death-ray guns.

The Eraser EM-1 fired off aluminum bullets or something along those lines according to what i've read so some people could conceivably think it was a real gun.