imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 11-12-2015, 06:31 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Oh come on, you don't carry the Pocket Hammerless? Now THAT'S old school.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:24 PM

Hell of a nice herd!
Old 11-13-2015, 02:41 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Oh come on, you don't carry the Pocket Hammerless? Now THAT'S old school.
That was a gift from my wife. She got it at an auction. Surprised me with it. it's a model 1908 in 380 ACP. Serial number is 338. One of the first ones to roll of the line at Colt in 1908. Little things like that is why we're celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary next summer. It still functions like a champ by the way. I've actually put a couple boxes of new 380 through it and there wasn't one fail to feed or eject. Pretty impressive for a 107 year old pistol.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
That was a gift from my wife. She got it at an auction. Surprised me with it. it's a model 1908 in 380 ACP. Serial number is 338. One of the first ones to roll of the line at Colt in 1908. Little things like that is why we're celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary next summer. It still functions like a champ by the way. I've actually put a couple boxes of new 380 through it and there wasn't one fail to feed or eject. Pretty impressive for a 107 year old pistol.
It's a good, classic, Browning design, carried by generals and gangsters, and yet no one makes a reproduction these days. I know Colt is making a limited run, but those are going to cost an arm and a leg. Companies are actually producing .380 M1911-style pistols rather than this gun. Why can't RIA start producing affordable copies?
Old 11-20-2015, 05:23 AM

Nice to see your haul, JCordell! All great stuff. Might inquire about a couple of those later but for now that is quite a few good pieces of metal there. Good win on the 1917 Colt, well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Smith made 3,000 of the 520 for the New York State Police in 1980 only to have the NYSP cancel at the last minute. It's just the Model 28 Highway Patrolman only with fixed sights instead of adjustable, but it's rare and would make a great addition to my collection.
I thought I had heard of a S&W Model 520 prior to recently - A few years back Smith brought out very briefly a 'new' M520 that was a blue-steel plus (7-shooter) L-frame with the traditional half-lug shroud - Basically a blued version of the Model 620 which we have on the site (which they also don't make now I think). Glad to know I'm not trippin'. Shame you couldn't grab ahold of that one but again, not like you had a total loss.

Totally agree with FCM about the 1908 as well.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:30 PM

I'd want a Pocket Hammerless just to put it in a General's Officer's pistol belt and walk around the house while Jackie is at work calling myself General and running a CPX in my mind.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:48 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
I'd want a Pocket Hammerless just to put it in a General's Officer's pistol belt and walk around the house while Jackie is at work calling myself General and running a CPX in my mind.
With or without the riding crop and breeches?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:09 AM

Breeches for sure. A crop would be a bit too pretentious
Old 06-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Now in 2018 only fifty officers are still carrying revolvers. They have been ordered to switch over to semi-auto pistols. The deadline is August of this year. The revolver is now just a chapter in the history of American law enforcement.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:06 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3667548

With a twelve pound trigger pull, I think you'll need all sixteen rounds to put lead on the target.