imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default EOtech sights

Can someone tell me when was the first year this holo sight was first implemented?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-25-2010, 09:59 PM

According to their website they made their first holo sight in 1996 for the shooting and hunting industry and in 2001 they made their first military/law enforcement holo sight.

P.S. EoTech's are awesome. I have a 557 on my AR.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:50 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I only ask because on the manga/anime Black Lagoon claims it takes place in the 90s, but not an exact date. The Russian Mob group Hotel Moscow are made up former Russian special forces that took part in the Soviet war in Afgan before the collapse. In the manga story later on, US spec ops appeared in the story with M4s with Eotechs attached. The M4s put the story after 1994 when the M4A1 was introduced into US service and now you say that EOtechs were first made in 96, so the story I guess is about 1996 then.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 03-26-2010, 04:52 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I only ask because on the manga/anime Black Lagoon claims it takes place in the 90s, but not an exact date. The Russian Mob group Hotel Moscow are made up former Russian special forces that took part in the Soviet war in Afgan before the collapse. In the manga story later on, US spec ops appeared in the story with M4s with Eotechs attached. The M4s put the story after 1994 when the M4A1 was introduced into US service and now you say that EOtechs were first made in 96, so the story I guess is about 1996 then.
You're over-thinking this. I think it's much more likely that the writers/animators simply didn't know when either the M4 or the Holosight was introduced, and it's such a minor detail, anyway, that I doubt they'd care.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

You'd be surprise how much detail animes that have more emphasize on guns, they pay a lot of attention to the details of guns.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
You'd be surprise how much detail animes that have more emphasize on guns, they pay a lot of attention to the details of guns.
Oh, no doubt. I'm not at all into anime, but every time I look at IMFDB's pages for anime series, I'm impressed with the level of detail that the artists put into the guns. You can tell they go out of their way to draw guns realistically.

That being said, the fact is that Japan doesn't have a real "gun culture" (just an airsoft/model gun culture). I used to post all the time on airsoft message boards, and I often found that Japanese airsofters I talked to knew almost nothing about firearms. For example, every Japanese kid knows what an MP5 or an M4 is, but if you talk about whether a Remington 870 or a Mossy 500 is a better shotgun, or whether or not the Ruger 10/22 is the best squirrel gun, they'd have no clue what you're talking about. That's because nobody makes those kinds of guns in airsoft, and if it's not made by airsoft manufacturers, they've never heard of it. Airsoft is pretty much their reference for everything, and as we've seen, airsoft manufacturers get lots of details wrong (especially in terms of naming) because they don't have easy access to the real thing. So my point is, I don't think you can expect them to know stuff like when Holosights were introduced.

BTW, I forgot another example: I remember when "Black Hawk Down" came out and every Japanese airsofter wanted to have an "M4" like the ones used in the movie. Never mind the fact that there aren't any real "M4s" in that movie (just like there weren't in real life, when the Battle of Mog took place). Tokyo Marui noticed how many airsofters were fans of "Black Hawk Down", and their response was to introduce their airsoft Model 733 carbine in 2002, which is the type of AR that's used by many of the Rangers in the movie. After that, you finally saw the airsofters referring, correctly, to the ARs in the movie as "M733s". But you see my point? Before Tokyo Marui introduced its M733, nobody in the airsoft community even knew what an M733 was. To them, any AR carbine was either an M4 or an XM177, because those were the only versions that Tokyo Marui manufactured as airsoft guns before 2002. No other AR carbines existed, as far as the airsoft community's collective conscience was concerned.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-27-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:52 PM
IMFDB Admin

I remember a couple years ago, that's how I was like. I knew nothing about guns and some of my references were on Airsoft because I just got into the sport. I used to own a Tokyo Marui M733, then traded it in for a P90 because I really liked Stargate, then into what pretty much is an Airsoft HK51, but the manufacturer called it a G3 SAS. I really customize that one with rails, red dot, and even a folding PDW stock from an MP5. And my last Airsoft is an M4. I used to think all shorty M16s are M4s and can't tell the difference and now I know...

Anyway, I can understand how Airsofters know only what Airsoft companies put out wit their products.

A good example of Anime studios going out of their way to know more about guns is Gunsmith Cats, a short 3 episode OVA. The entire team took a trip to Chicago in the early 90s to get a real hands on experience with firearms, including going to a gun store, shoot guns and of course the main character's car was replicated into anime form exactly. They spared no expense.

It's just good to know a lot of Anime really care about how guns at least work. I have yet to see the classic slide don't lock back when gun is empty in a serious anime. But like in live action, we do see the usual classics like firing from the hip, finger on the trigger, etc