imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Not an HK fan, there not junk (except the overpriced overneurtered sl8) but think they cost too much for what you get, have the mg release in the wrong place (trigger guard, wtf?) and they have no real appeal to me. Grips seem comfy on the hk 45 though.
If I were to buy an H&K, it's be one of their older designs like the HSc, HK4 or P7

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-15-2010, 02:10 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I want to get the HK45 or the P30, which is the 9mm of the HK45. The grips on those are extremely comfortable compared to the USPs. That would be the only thing HK I'd get unless someone's selling a 94 or 53 or even the 91. I'd pay money for those guns

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

http://www.military.com/news/article...new-rifle.html
Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

News to me, but the article I read about Border and Customs units are getting just the mk 17 SCARs to replace their M14s.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 PM

Actually, I've tried both and I much prefer the grip of the USP to the HK45 or P30. And I actually really like the mag release on the USP. Never been a big of the FNP, none of the one's I've tried overly impressed me - they all had really heavy and gritty triggers.

And frankly, saying HK guns are junk is just not right. I don't espescially like alot of their products personally, but they're far from junk. They work, some of them very well, and no gun that shoots reliably and accurately is junk. You may not like the way it handles, but there's a huge difference between that and the gun actually being junk.

Bashing HK (and Glock for that matter) seems to be the cool thing to do on alot of internet forums, but to me it's not all that different from the internet HK fanboyism of 10 years ago. Unless you can actually dispassionately back up your point with real arguments, you're doing your point more harm than good.

As far as the SCAR goes, I can't say I'm shocked - frankly the idea of spending all that money to field a weapon that would require a seperate logisitics and maintenance chain from the rest of the issued small arms never really made alot of sense to me. The SCAR probably is a better weapons system than the M4 / M16 / other AR variants, but from where I'm sitting it doesn't bring enough new to the table to justify the expense.

Last edited by Nyles; 07-15-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 PM

+1 Nyles, on the SCAR stuff and the HK stuff. Money talks, and in this case it doesn't; The SCAR is neat but all the tacticoolness and futrueweapon and game plugs it gets won't override the fact that it isn't that different or that much more effective from the M4s we already use, at least when you factor in what every gamer or futureweapon fanboy overlooks, unit cost and training.

They might have a hefty price tag and they might not like the civilian market but that doesn't mean their products are bad. Aside from their frequent avoidance of the button release (which is similar in actuation to the AK by the way), and the crappy trigger and bulkiness of the USP I don't see much wrong with the guns. Even so, one or two ergonomic gripes is not enough to make a weapon "junk". S&W thinks his 4506 is too big, My 92SB is a little on the heavy side, the Browning's old style safety is a little difficult to firmly engage/disengage, but does that mean they are all junk? By your logic, yes, but no, they're not. They are accurate and reliable guns that are a joy to shoot and a pleasure to own. Just because you have a political or economic problem with a company, or they have a few subjective ergonomic oversights, doesn't make their products complete crap. I wouldn't mind a USP or HK-91 in the least.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
+1 Nyles, on the SCAR stuff and the HK stuff. Money talks, and in this case it doesn't; The SCAR is neat but all the tacticoolness and futrueweapon and game plugs it gets won't override the fact that it isn't that different or that much more effective from the M4s we already use, at least when you factor in what every gamer or futureweapon fanboy overlooks, unit cost and training.

They might have a hefty price tag and they might not like the civilian market but that doesn't mean their products are bad. Aside from their frequent avoidance of the button release (which is similar in actuation to the AK by the way), and the crappy trigger and bulkiness of the USP I don't see much wrong with the guns. Even so, one or two ergonomic gripes is not enough to make a weapon "junk". S&W thinks his 4506 is too big, My 92SB is a little on the heavy side, the Browning's old style safety is a little difficult to firmly engage/disengage, but does that mean they are all junk? By your logic, yes, but no, they're not. They are accurate and reliable guns that are a joy to shoot and a pleasure to own. Just because you have a political or economic problem with a company, or they have a few subjective ergonomic oversights, doesn't make their products complete crap. I wouldn't mind a USP or HK-91 in the least.
My 4506 is exactly the right size

Old 07-15-2010, 11:40 PM

It must have been Matt who said that. I figured it was him or you, and in hindsight it couldn;t have been you since you have a boner for anything that says S&W on it.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
It must have been Matt who said that. I figured it was him or you, and in hindsight it couldn;t have been you since you have a boner for anything that says S&W on it.
Not really. I don't care for the Sigma series, the 500 Magnum, the square trigger guarded 4506, or for the M&P (If I were to go buy a polymer framed gun, the FNP would be my first choice)

Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Yeah, it was me. I'm the only other person here who owns a 4506, I think. And yeah, I think the 4506 is too big a gun for me.