imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Yooka

Red face Ranking Handgun Value in a Zombie Apocalypse

Hello all. I'm just a guy with a minimal knowledge of firearms, but a recently developing passion for learning more about them. I also try to contribute to a wiki about Zombie Films and hypothetical survivalism. Most of the editors seem to be pretty young, and even more uninformed than me.

I wanted to try something new for a wiki article, and I was hoping you guys could help me. Quite simply, I'd like to get a top ten list for the best handguns to have in a zombie uprising. Now, obviously, if such a thing were to happen, we would advise using primarily rifles and shotguns and such, and have the sidearm just in case. But we loves our guns, so the question still stands. How would you rank common handgun types against zombies?

To clarify, we are talking zombies as in Night of the Living Dead, not 28 Days Later or Zombieland. These zombies are already dead. Only the destruction of the brain, or brain stem puts them down. They don't breathe. They don't bleed out. They have poor balance, and very low speed, but they are very strong.

Factors I would imagine to be important include (but are not limited to) stopping power, ammo availability, resistance to jams, recoil, and how much is involved to maintain it. I would imagine very few .22's will be on there.

Anyway, please post up your thoughts, maybe a few words why you like one gun over another. I'm going to try to find a consensus, and post it on our wiki, and cite these forums.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the great work on imfdb. Feel free to pay us a visit at zombie.wikia.com if you'd like to help set us straight - Lord knows we could use the help.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:29 PM

Smith 617 6''/

.22lr is the most common and easy round to find, zombies are rotting corpses and it will easily penetrate their skull, you can carry a lot. The 6'' gives a little extra velocity. A semi in .22lr is just not reliable enough. Also good to hunt small game to eat with mininum meat damage.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Yooka

Really? What would you say is the max distance one could reliably shatter a skull with that?

Feel free to throw more gun types in there, BTW. Not just "the best" but common types that would work well, maybe even rank them like a top ten list.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 PM

Zombies are a rotting corpse, the skulls dehydrating and becoming brittle and easy to smash. Get some CCI Mini MAgs or Velocitors, good velocity, accuracy, and bullett construction. Reliable brand. Also, get a collapsable baton. Compact, easy to carry and will crack heads. A knife will get caught inside attacker and be ineffective for follow up strikes. Im sre a .22 revovler will smash a zombie brain within any handgun distance, beyond 25 yards you need a rifle.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Yooka

While I appreciate the help, and don't mean to discourage or put you down in anyway, the "commonly accepted" standard for Zombies is based on a book - Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide - (and also World War Z, which is being made into a film next year - so you guys will cover it then ). Those sorts of Zombies are infected/saturated by what is basically a super-alpha sort of virus. It is somehow so toxic, no other life can withstand any contact with it - even the microscopic stuff that decomposes organic tissue. In this way, and in keeping the zombie more solid altogether (for example, their wounds barely splatter, everything just clumps together like old jam), an undead, infected Zombie can survive for 5-10 years before it breaks down enough to be immobilized.

Besides, I'm no forensics expert, but I think before a skull naturally decomposes to the point of brittleness, it has to be dead for many months. That's not a safe assumption for all zombies one might come into contact with.

So yeah, I'm the authority on the fictional, useless half of this debate. I really rock. . Also, I have a father was was a cop, and actually saw a man get shot in the head with a .22 (probably normal or short) from about a car length away, and it just lodged in the man's skull, doing no physical brain damage. So that would be bad against a zombie.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:36 PM

Gimme a Beretta 92 or Springfield XD-9 instead of that .22 LR crap. Both have penetration (stopping power would be kind of irrelevant) and high mag capacity.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 PM

I've been trying to put my own Zombie Weapons Tier onto paper for a long time, sheerly because Max Brooks missed a LOT in his book as far as firearms go......edited.....but I will have you know that you are using images from imfdb that MPM2008 made, and unless you have his permission, he's gonna be pissed when he finds out.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 01-17-2010 at 08:05 PM.