imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 11-23-2009, 05:03 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default What are your thoughts on Grenade images on movie pages?

I've noticed that on movie pages and the Grenade pages, we have images of the actual real grenades, complete with correct arsenal markings and such .... but we don't use those in movies & TV shows. Nobody does. We use dummies and trainers, which actually look different. I have NEVER seen anyone use 100% perfect Grenade Ordnance in a movie, nor does ANYONE use live ordnance.

I have photos of the dummies that people are MOST likely to see, however, IMFDB seems to have fallen into a habit of listing it as the real thing, not a dummy made to look like the real thing.

Now I understand having perfect images of the REAL grenade, but shouldn't we have actual shots of the fakes that we use in the movies? I mean that's what people are actually looking at on screen.

I look forward to your thoughts on this.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:46 AM

I guess that would be appropriate.
Of course then we would have to relabel all the M-67 grenades as M-69 training grenades...or would we
Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I guess that would be appropriate.
Of course then we would have to relabel all the M-67 grenades as M-69 training grenades...or would we
Well M67 is what they are supposed to be, by they aren't. They're FAKE M67 grenades (just like we list "Fake Uzi" or "Fake M16A2") and then we have to list what they actually are. But those can be done on a page by page basis. It's funny. ALL explosive ordnance in movies & TV are obviously NOT the real deal. No one uses land mines for real in shows. No one uses actual real grenades (and usually the SFX guys make them into 'nuclear grenades' in that their explosions are way too big than they are in real life).

It just seems to go against the grain of what we do for firearms.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM

I think it's fine to picture the prop and describe it as standing in for the real thing. Or we could split the difference and picture both the prop and the real grenade for comparison purposes.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-23-2009, 06:00 PM

I think we should use the Prop pictures. However, we could use a picture of the real thing to show people the diferences between the real thing and the prop. Basically, what AdAstra said.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:24 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
I think we should use the Prop pictures. However, we could use a picture of the real thing to show people the diferences between the real thing and the prop. Basically, what AdAstra said.
I concur. This is IMFDB. We want what movies use, not necessarily what's used in real life, if differences apply.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 PM

I know that on Futureweapons and a couple of other "reality" shows they use real grenades to demonstrate things. But as MPM said in Movies and on television they use fakes and they should be labled as such.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
I know that on Futureweapons and a couple of other "reality" shows they use real grenades to demonstrate things. But as MPM said in Movies and on television they use fakes and they should be labled as such.
And personally, I was against us having a page for FutureWeapons (and all the other reality shows) in the first place.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:30 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
And personally, I was against us having a page for FutureWeapons (and all the other reality shows) in the first place.
I concur. Shows that are basically 'documentaries' on new military weapons technology or historical ones, have NOTHING to do with the background work of movie armorers in film and television or graphics artists in VGs & Anime. I've always hated them, because there is no 'craft' involved in 'borrowing' the latest and greatest guns and ordnance from the Army. None of the REST of us can ever get that, and there is no real effort involved. I remember when some members started listing Television series about military events in which ALL of the images were real News footage. It was a complete waste of time. I guarantee you, NO viewer will 'wonder' what random Muslim terrorist is using in a quick clip from a fight somewhere in the Middle east from an Al Jazeerah Feed.

So these reality shows in essence, create a whole NEW CLASS of weapons that IMFDB has to waste server space on, even though no one will EVER use them or see them in films or other entertainment. I've always said, "IMFDB is NOT "The history of Guns website", but a lot of folks don't comprehend what that exactly means.....
Old 11-25-2009, 02:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Another thing about those shows. They tell you what the weapon is, no need to identify it. Unlike a movie or TV show. So what's the use?