imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Beretta 9000S - still made?

As far as I can tell it is no longer in the Beretta catalog, but that really doesn't mean much. I can think of several S&W revolvers that were made on a limited basis for years - even decades - and were never listed in the company catalog.

An outstanding example would have to be the Model 48. I don't have my copy of the Standard Catalog of S&W by Nahas and Supica with me so I'm going off of memory regarding the numerical designation. Anyway it was a K frame 22 caliber revolver with fixed sights. Never cataloged and made for the U.S. Post Office and (I believe) the U.S. Coast Guard for training purposes since it was basically a Model 10 only in 22LR. Both organizations used the M&P/Model 10 back then.

Anyway anybody have any info about the 9000S. I never cared for it's ergonomics, but I would like to know if Beretta got rid of it or if they sold the design to another company like they did with the Cougar.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Haven't been able to find any info, but I do know that the 9000S was not a big seller (in spite of its exposure in "Minority Report"). And now that the PX4 Compact is out, I can't really imagine why it would stay in production.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Yeah I was curious. I suppose I could find a Beretta forum and do some searching. I've asked this same question on The Firing Line forum and nobody was real sure there either. If Beretta gave it the ax (very likely) it was done very quietly.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 AM

I don't know if Beretta "sold" the Cougar design to Stoeger, since they own Stoeger and selling it to themself doesn't make sense to me. I have no idea how all that business stuff works, so maybe.

Anyhow, I posted the question on Beretta Forum, so someone there will hopefully know something and answer it.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 12-06-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:33 AM

Well, Benelli owns Stoeger, but Beretta owns Benelli. And Stoeger is the company which handles the import of Beretta, Benelli, Sako, Tikka and Uberti to North America. I deal with their Canadian rep pretty often at work. I'd ask exactly how that worked, but I doubt he'd know since the gun isn't imported into Canada.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:33 AM

At least two guys on BF said the 9000S has been out of production for a few years, so there's that.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
At least two guys on BF said the 9000S has been out of production for a few years, so there's that.
Okay thanks. And I have no idea about the sale thing either. I've just heard it people talk about Beretta selling the Cougar to Stoeger in the past. That whole international corporation thing gets very complicated.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:38 AM

I don't believe the 9000S was very popular within Beretta itself.

Massad Ayoob hated it. Said as much in his book on the brand. That's pretty damning, especially coming from someone as pro-Beretta as he is.