imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM

Default Most credible gun magazines?

I know they got ro cater to their advertisers, but some are more credible than others. I get american rifleman with my nra membership but would like something else too. American rifleman at least has report jamming from guns. Some mags on the other hand fire 50 shots then decide a gun is super awesome. Got any mags you'd reccomend?

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM

Well, I've got a subscription to Man At Arms, but they cater exclusively to old gun collectors. I always take home unsold copies of Guns and Ammo from work, but that's almost exclusively for Garry James' articles and to keep abreast of new developments I can expect customers to ask about, I tend to take it all with a grain of salt. Rifle magazine is pretty good, and if you reload you can always find interesting stuff in Handloader.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 PM

I read Guns & Ammo's Handgun oriented magazine and it seems alright. No magazine is going to tell you the absolute truth though

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 PM

I know none will be absolute truth but some are worse than others. Like gunblast, if its a ruger, taurus or charter arms automatic glowing review. Or a 5'' group off a benchrest being called "acceptable combat accuracy."

some mags also have too much ads not enough reviews. And its almost sad, that the only way to tell credibility is to see if the magazine has given negative reviews, like in american rifleman there was a special on carry .380s, that said "naa guardian trigger is too stiff" or "the keltec stovepiped."

Grunt, Mass effect 3

Last edited by k9870; 01-19-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I have a subscription to Guns & Ammo and also to Guns Weapons Law Enforcement

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 AM

Ive heard SWAT does good reviews, but is it a gun mag or more gear oriented?

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

My grandfather has a subscription to "Guns & Ammo" and gives me the issues when he's done with them. Usually, I like reading them, but I find they have a few too many positive reviews (I remember how much they extolled the .45 GAP Glocks when those came out, even though in retrospect most people now agree that the .45 GAP is a redundant and useless round).

Also, I think that buying a new weapon based on its review in a gun rag is a dumb idea. Unlike cars or gadgets or almost any other consumer product, firearms last forever even with minimal maintenance, so it's never worthwhile to buy a new weapon (even a new make/variant of an old design, like an AR-15 or 1911) as soon as it comes out. Most people - myself included - buy old, used firearms that are still in good condition. So regardless of what a review says, I'm not likely to make a buying decision based on it.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
My grandfather has a subscription to "Guns & Ammo" and gives me the issues when he's done with them. Usually, I like reading them, but I find they have a few too many positive reviews (I remember how much they extolled the .45 GAP Glocks when those came out, even though in retrospect most people now agree that the .45 GAP is a redundant and useless round).

Also, I think that buying a new weapon based on its review in a gun rag is a dumb idea. Unlike cars or gadgets or almost any other consumer product, firearms last forever even with minimal maintenance, so it's never worthwhile to buy a new weapon (even a new make/variant of an old design, like an AR-15 or 1911) as soon as it comes out. Most people - myself included - buy old, used firearms that are still in good condition. So regardless of what a review says, I'm not likely to make a buying decision based on it.
I'm that way also. I have a few that I bought new, but it's usually because there wasn't much of a price difference between used vs new. Or new is what was mostly around. Once you shoot it, it's used then anyway. My S&W 586 and Hi-Power Mark III are older guns that where supposedly unfired since leaving the factory of course that didn't last long.

As far as magazines go I like American Handgunner, they do articles on whatever flavor of the month, but also do them on older handguns also. I have thought about subscribing to them and Gun Digest.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Most people - myself included - buy old, used firearms that are still in good condition.
They just don't make them like they used to

http://www.introvertisland.com

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 01-20-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Depends on who "they" is. Wheelguns, Id say older ones had more care given and seem smoother. Autos, I think newer ones will be more reliable.

Grunt, Mass effect 3