imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 PM

Default Smith & Wesson Model 19-5

Dated June 1984, we have a fairly rare Smith & Wesson Model 19-5 with a 6 inch Red Ramp front sight barrel. Screw partridge sights! It's also got the target hammer and trigger, and the action is smooth as can be.

I don't think you guys have seen my other ones, so there's the 19 with my 5906 Novak and my Springfield Armory GI 1911A1 with Hogue grips and hex screws.

Another shot of 'em.

The sight picture for the 19. Red Ramp and white outline, I love it.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 AM
IMFDB Admin

Beautiful pieces. Don't really see the point in hex screws though, they just seem to make it harder to find a tool to take the grips off.

I've got a Smith & Wesson Model 14-3 Masterpiece with a similair target trigger and nice adjustable sights and I love it.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:03 AM

They actually started making the Model 14 again in the classic line, but an older model is much better.

I got the Hex screws when I rotted off the parkerizing with my grubby hands, so I could keep the nasty looking screws off the gun. Now they are refinished and original to the gun, and I don't want to damage or strip them, so I have a cheap pair of hex screws to take off and put on whenever I feel like it, and it came with the tool, so I'm good. I take the grips off after every shooting to oil the sides and front strap too, so yeah.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

That Model 19 really looks nice. Though what's with the coloring on the hammer? I've seen other Model 19s with that style hammer, but not that color, I don't think.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:23 AM

It's case hardening/case color, and it's normal on Smith & Wesson revolver small parts. Mostly all of them are case hardened I think.