imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

If you find some ammo for this...

Mitralleuse Gaulois

I found this reading an old hunting magazine a few years ago. Looks nice, but the ammo is too hard to find.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:22 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_Goodbomb View Post
1. If it's empty when they screw off the top and tip it over, and I'm sober, who cares?

2. Foam fitting. When the bottom slides out, the foam would come out in one piece that you can quickly toss.

3. Not a .22. It's a lot heavier shielding than a leather holster.
(1.) Why would it be empty? I thought the point is to carry a gun in it?

(2.) Might work, but it sounds unwieldy to me.

(3.) I can't remember the stats, but .22 is not the most common caliber used by criminals. I believe .38 and 9x19mm are. I would plan for what you're most likely to be up against.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:23 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Maybe I should have mentioned... I was looking for a usable movie prop. heh.
Ah, I see. Well, I guess it wouldn't be the most absurd thing I've seen in a movie. But you made it sound like it was for use in the real world.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
(1.) Why would it be empty? I thought the point is to carry a gun in it?

(2.) Might work, but it sounds unwieldy to me.

(3.) I can't remember the stats, but .22 is not the most common caliber used by criminals. I believe .38 and 9x19mm are. I would plan for what you're most likely to be up against.
1. Empty of fluid. IE, liquor.

2. It's... a flask. It's one solid piece with a false bottom. Then the firearm would be inside it, and the insides lined with foam. Simple stuff here.

3. Who claims I'm a criminal? I get what you're saying, if they've got it, you should, but NO ONE wants to get shot. This macho "girly gun" stuff is tiresome. If someone pulls a gun out of me, whether it's a .22 or a 10-gauge shotgun... I'm not going to say, "please, no, don... Wait, that's only a (smaller calibre than I have), go right ahead, make my day." Give me a break.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Ah, I see. Well, I guess it wouldn't be the most absurd thing I've seen in a movie. But you made it sound like it was for use in the real world.
Well, after being used as a prop... I'd continue to own it.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:47 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
1. Empty of fluid. IE, liquor.

2. It's... a flask. It's one solid piece with a false bottom. Then the firearm would be inside it, and the insides lined with foam. Simple stuff here.

3. Who claims I'm a criminal? I get what you're saying, if they've got it, you should, but NO ONE wants to get shot. This macho "girly gun" stuff is tiresome. If someone pulls a gun out of me, whether it's a .22 or a 10-gauge shotgun... I'm not going to say, "please, no, don... Wait, that's only a (smaller calibre than I have), go right ahead, make my day." Give me a break.
(1.) But I thought the point is that you still don't want cops to know you're carrying a gun. In which case, you don't want them to try and empty it to find what's inside.

(2.) It sounds like it would be a pretty tight fit. The foam could get in the way of reaching inside to pull out the gun...I just can't picture it.

(3.) Uh, you completely mis-interpreted what I'm saying. Remember when you said this:

Quote:
It would be safer than a concealment holster, which could potentially be shot THROUGH
In other words, implying that you expect the flask to protect your gun if for some reason a street thug shoots and hits it. My point is, since it's likely that a criminal (meaning, NOT you) would be carrying a larger caliber than .22, then IF your flask got shot, it would most likely be penetrated. Of course, this is a highly unlikely scenario, but I'm only responding to what you said earlier.

As for the caliber, .22 is just not such a good caliber for self-defense. It isn't because it's a "girly gun" or because I'm being macho. I prefer 9x19mm pistols myself, even though many people I know think 9mm is "weak" and think I should be using .40 S&W, .357 SIG, or .45 ACP. But .22 is basically the opposite extreme. Especially if you're getting jacked by some crackhead who's too high to feel much pain.

Quote:
Well, after being used as a prop... I'd continue to own it.
Fair enough, but I wouldn't risk using it in real life if/when you do get a carry permit. It just doesn't seem that practical to me.