imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-17-2009, 01:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

I thought the Automag had an excellent trigger, as did the Backup so maybe it is a different gun by AMT.

I have an M1 Garand, check my profile. I love that gun, but .30-06 is too expensive to shoot often. I keep a clip loaded in it though so if I pull the action back I can hear the *PING!*
Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 AM

AMT switches hands frequently it seems, I know currently they have pretty bad QC. HI standard is another company that went down the tubes.

My rangemaster sells m2 ball at 20 cents a round when its in bulk, korean surplus. He has a little store he does as a side biz, hes retired now.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

Something about the Automag I both liked an disliked was how the lever that is usually a decocker is just a firing pin block, and doesn't drop the hammer. This allows you to test the trigger without dry firing the gun, but now you have an extra step when decocking the gun.

Can't wait to shoot it though.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:38 PM

Few more guns I've bought recently:

US Army Colt M1901 in .38 Long Colt - this of course being part of the series (from the M1889 to the M1905) of essentially identical of Colt .38 revolvers (solt commercially as the Colt New Army) used by the US military. These weren't successes in service, as most of you probably know - the .38 Long Colt round was underpowered and it was found in the Phillipine Insurrection that they wouldn't stop a charging Moro at close range. What's less well known is they also had somewhat weak lockwork - the cylinder rotated counter-clockwise, in the same direction it openned, and could easily get out of timing if abused.

This is a British Webley Mk.I, the original military Webley adopted in 1887. It's interesting to put this next to my 1916 Webley Mk.VI - there are the obvious differences - the shorter 4" barrel and the bird's head grip, but there's alot of little differences - the extractor stays out in the open position rather than snapping back down, the cylinder can't easily be removed, the hammer and stirrup lock are shaped differently - it's a fascinating example of the evolution of the design.

I also just made a deal on a French M1892 revolver, commonly (though incorrectly) called a Lebel. These are neat in that they're the only non-US military revolver I'm aware of with a swing-out cylinder - except it swings out to the right, not the left. I'll explain why once I actually get it and have decent pictures. In the meantime, here's the sellers photo:

Last edited by Nyles; 06-27-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
When I turn 21 i will get a C&R and Want the following:

Mosin 91/30
SKS
Mosin m44
TT-33
Nagant revolver (2 of them, there that cheap)
CZ-52 (prob 2)
K98
P38
c96
Lee Enfield
Webley model (any used in ww2)
Carcano
beretta m1935
Arisaka
Finnish Mosin 39
Sweedish mauser 6.5x55
Krag
Makarov
steyr 95
Of those, I have everything but the Krag, Makarov, Beretta and CZ-52 - the Beretta is prohibited in Canada, and Krags are even harder to find than in the US, and the Mak and CZ are outside of my area of collection. Far as Webley's used in WW2, you'd be looking for either a WAR FINISH marked .38 Mk.IV or a .455 Mk.VI, since many officers never transitioned to the .38. Alternatively you could get an Enfield No.2, which was the standard British revolver of the war, and a copy of the Webley anyways.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:46 PM

I have a thing for old gns, problem is Id have to shoot em, no so not too rare/vintage. I have a huge interest in milsurp, tacticool guns actually dont do much for me, A Lee enfield has about 50x more soul than a ar-15 IMHO.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:27 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Something about the Automag I both liked an disliked was how the lever that is usually a decocker is just a firing pin block, and doesn't drop the hammer. This allows you to test the trigger without dry firing the gun, but now you have an extra step when decocking the gun.

Can't wait to shoot it though.
Yeah, I shot the POS they call the Automag V. It broke after three shots. The magazine catch broken and the screw holding the sights on hit me in the forehead. I have some shots of me shooting it I'll upload later.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post

This is a British Webley Mk.I, the original military Webley adopted in 1887. It's interesting to put this next to my 1916 Webley Mk.VI - there are the obvious differences - the shorter 4" barrel and the bird's head grip, but there's alot of little differences - the extractor stays out in the open position rather than snapping back down, the cylinder can't easily be removed, the hammer and stirrup lock are shaped differently - it's a fascinating example of the evolution of the design.
Be really awesome if you came across one of these>

Old 06-28-2009, 03:48 AM

I know where there is one, I'm just trying to come to an agreement with its owner.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:40 PM

Picked up a couple more unexpectedly today - excuse the poor photography.

This one I'm particularly excited about, this is a Belgian Mauser M1889 Carbine, used in WW1. Belgian army Mausers are ridiculously hard to find, and nobody seems to know why. It's not like they didnt make many. Best theory I've heard is sometime after 1940 they were loaded onto a train bound for Germany for re-issue, and it ended up getting bombed en route. The Belgians were actually the first country to use Mausers, other than the black powder models, and so the action is very different compared to the Mauser 98 everyone is used to. They also incorporate a steel barrel jacket like the German Gewehr 88 Commission rifle, which is a cool, if useless feature.

This is a Browning Hi Power, of course, but its a Nazi-marked Hi Power, known in German service as the P.35(B). They kept them in production after conquering Belgium and issued them mainly to the Waffen SS, who were on the bottom of the list for German-made kit. I'd happily keep it, but a Nazi Hi Power is a holy grail for a friend on mine so I'll probably sell it to him for what I paid and shipping.