Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonneD'Intérêt View Post
Vive la Résistance!
Not for long.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:14 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Two Six View Post
is there a way to block any aliases this bastard might devise?
Yeah, by going after his IP (or all IPs similar enough to his).
Old 08-27-2010, 03:23 AM

I've no objection. I've been keeping out of the confrontations with POI anyway, I figured you guys could all defend yourselves from him.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 08-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

He won't be missed. I actually deleted one of his threads last night and one of his posts.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:01 PM

Good riddance. I for one would welcome an increase in civility / intelligence around here.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:21 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
But I might as well ask: Is there anyone here who objects to it?

He and I had an (admittedly hilarious) exchange in private messages. I gave him an ultimatum: Promise to stop talking back to admins, or he was gone. Needless to say, he didn't want to listen.
I haven't seen all of his stuff, and while a lot of the stuff was just him being a smartass, how would you define "talking back to admins?" I can understand something along the lines of "screw you and your rules, I'll do what I please," that's one thing, but if it's "I disagree with your statement, and here are a list of reasons why," that's another. There's a difference between having a different opinion and being a pain in the ass. As Nyles said, civility and intelligence are welcome here, and I totally agree with that, and isn't tolerance of a reasonable argument part of being civil? (This is not to say POI had reasonable arguments, this is purely hypothetical.)
Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 AM

I say good riddance. I could tell from day one that he was not the right caliber for this place, and I'm glad he's gone.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 AM

about time
Old 08-28-2010, 03:04 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
how would you define "talking back to admins?"
Making excuses for his behavior and refusing to change, even when he's asked to stop doing something. Think back to when you were in junior high, and that's about how PoI sounds. PoI's problem is that he (1.) can't ever admit that he might be wrong, and (2.) will go out of his way to try and convince you that it's your fault when he does something wrong.

Quote:
I can understand something along the lines of "screw you and your rules, I'll do what I please," that's one thing, but if it's "I disagree with your statement, and here are a list of reasons why," that's another.
PoI leaned more towards the former. And that's why he tended to offend almost anyone he spoke to, and start arguments that reduced the civility of reasoned debate. Do you really think it's just a coincidence that almost every time PoI posted in a topic, that topic would degenerate into a long argument?

Above all else, it's blatantly obvious that PoI knew what he was doing, but did it anyway. It's one thing for people to have a disagreement on occasion; that's human nature. With PoI, though, it happened with such frequency that it became clear to me that he wasn't just some socially awkward nerd who couldn't help himself. For him, disagreeing with people seems to be less about improving IMFDB, and more about just riling people up and pulling their chains for his own amusement. That's what makes him so despicable. At best, he's maybe one step above the common forum troll. And no forum on the 'Net has any reason to tolerate trolling.

Quote:
There's a difference between having a different opinion and being a pain in the ass.
I have no problem hearing opinions that are different than my own. The problem with PoI is that he spoke with an air of superiority and contempt for the opinions of almost everyone on here (Admins included). This is not somebody we need on IMFDB. And as I'm sure you've seen by now, most of the site's members agree with me. I didn't ban PoI only because I find him to be a pain in the ass; I did so because I recognized that my sentiments were shared.

Last edited by MT2008; 08-28-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:44 PM
PersonsOfInterests

For the record I wasn't even banned for any of this. I was banned because I didn't apologize to you. You sent me three messages in a row demanding I give you some assurance of good behavior instead of just sitting back and waiting for me to actually break a rule or do something else you didn't like. You intentionally set me up to be banned, you knew I wasn't going to apologize, I knew even if I did you were going to make up some excuse to ban me later anyway. In the end none of it matters. You can't get rid of me, I'll continue to post (I have multiple alts already that you will never detect, any name variation of my original is obviously me not trying to hide myself), the internet is not important, and we're all gonna be dead in a thousand years anyway.