imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Default Your shooting background

I know people who have grown up hunting and shooting at an early age. I know people who start later in life. I almost never shot, family doesn't like gns but I always had a fascination with them, shot a couple times with 22s in boy scouts when i was too young to remember. Then I shot in basic with the p229 DAKs, came home, now 18, and got an 870 and savage 22. Shoot with friends all the time. So I basically had to wait till age 18. Some of my friends on the other hand have been shooting since age 8 with 410s and 22s. When and how did yo start shooting?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:42 PM

At age 7 when my family moved from Kentucky (where there are only white people for as far as the eye can see) and I was given a single barrel .410 (the same one seen in Napolean Dynamite!) and a Browning .22 semi-auto rifle http://store.valueweb.com/vintagepap...alog/AB015.jpg

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-07-2010, 08:54 PM

If i have kids theyll grow up learning safe and fun shooting.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:00 PM

I've been around guns my whole life, and I figure the best way to instill good safety habits is to start teaching the child early in life

Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I've been around guns my whole life, and I figure the best way to instill good safety habits is to start teaching the child early in life
Totally agree. Most effective form of gun control there ever could be.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 02-08-2010, 12:26 AM

When I was living in Kentucky, we had an unlocked closet full of guns that was situated where no one really paid attention to it. I could have went in there and messed with them at any time, but even as a very young child I knew better

Old 02-08-2010, 03:25 AM

Children with guns don't kill people, ignorant children with guns kill people.
Teach! Impart! Etc!

None of my family owns or shoots, so I mostly did stuff with my uncle. I never got a chance to fire his AK 47 civilian model before he sold it, more's the pity.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

My first hunting trip was when I was 11. A friend of the family took me to some woods a couple hours away. That's where I first fired a Remington shotgun. I forgot which type. Every so often, my uncle would ask me to join him hunting for deer.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-08-2010, 04:11 AM

I try to hunt as often as I can. I'm really lucky though so I don't get to go as much as I would like because I'd kill my limit the first week of the season if I did (for the last 2 years I have killed something on my first hunt of the season). This year I almost couldn't go opening weekend because of a pinched nerve in my lower back/ hip area (I couldn't even really stand without tremendous pain/effort), but I swallowed some ibuprofen, grabbed my Winchester 88 and liquified ever single one of a buck's organs at a hundred yards. The pinched nerve still rears it's ugly head every now and again, and it hurts like a motherfucker, but I endure the pain until it passes

Old 02-08-2010, 04:57 AM

Learned to shoot in the cadets at 13 - first with the Daisy 853 air rifle then the old Lee-Enfield No.7 .22. Shot competetively from then until I was 17. Bought my first rifle at 15. Shot extensively before I joined the army at 19.