imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 PM

BTW GM, whats the revolver in that pic?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:44 PM
IMFDB Admin

It's a Smith & Wesson Model 14, more specifically a K-14 Masterpiece. It's an excellent .38 revolver with great double and single trigger pulls.

Here's a pic of the gun:

I've shown it on the forum before. I need to clean it actually, I checked on it recently and it's getting a little surface rust. I left it alone for too long.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 PM

Looks nice, the only wheelguns ive fired are single action (.22 single six and .30 carbine blackhawk) so id ont know how double action plls are. Is it better than a double action auto? I find double action autos a bit hard to shoot accurately in faster fire due to the long pull.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:04 PM
IMFDB Admin

Yes, it's a lot easier. Revolvers usually have better double action trigger pulls than autos, unless you install some super-trigger in your auto. But usually I cock the hammer before firing because it is easier to shoot accurately.

To be fair though, the K-14 is a target pistol, and has a slightly better trigger than your standard S&W.

And because of what I do with my dad, I've shot wheel guns galore. Pretty much any single action made by Ruger or Colt has been in my hands and/or fired. The Blackhawk in .30 Carbine is kind of fun, but the Blackhawk in .44 Magnum is a beast. I shot it while rested so I didn't get to use the gun's weight to my advantage. Leaves your thumb webbing pretty sore. I love the Ruger Single Six and practice the standard cowboy shooting techniques like fanning, drawing (I never practice drawing loaded, I like having all my toes intact), spinning (again unloaded), and SASS rapid hammer firing. All are fun, but movies and SASS shooters make it look much easier. I mean, they shoot .38s and .45s and I have trouble keeping a .22 Magnum in the same control.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I've thought about buying a pistol-grip shotgun with a heat shield for years now. Guess I might be a mall ninja.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Ive never considered one, i like a stock. More control.
I would by one with a pistol grip and a telescoptic stock like an M4 and I dont think that's being Mall Ninja

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-15-2009, 07:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

This is my dream shotgun. Extended 7 shot magazine tube, collapsing stock, pistol grip, and ghost ring sights. Sexy. It makes the somewhat boring Remington 870 interesting again.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:33 AM

Hey GM, was wondering about the k-14, do you have experience with the new k 14s in the classic series? Are these new smiths anything like the old.?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

'fraid I don't. My dad put together a newer model once (I think it was nickel or stainless, can't remember) and shot at deer eating his shrubs to scare them off, but he eventually gave it back to the customer.

It had a very nice cylinder lock, and nothing wobbles when the hammer is cocked, while my K-14 has a little free play. Other than that I don't know.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:49 AM

The newer S&W products are shadows of their former selves, not to say they are completely terrible. The firing pins are now internal, and some of them have locks, and frankly, terrible triggers. They lock up tight, though, and should shoot alright. They aren't the same gun, though, by a long shot.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 PM

Classics series is lock-free, i dont mind a lock though, id just rather not have one.....ive heard some smiths are poor but a lot are good. Never heard a 686 complaint. Have heard man- a complaint about the performance center guns having poor QC though, and modern j frames arent known for good triggers at all.