imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 PM

Default Your favorite guns?

Only what you have actually shot.

I personally shoot best with a marlin 336 with an aftermarket peep sight my friend owns.

I shoot my Savage mk II G the most. Ammos cheap, and it is an accurate gun that eats anything I feed it. I shoot it more than any other guns.

I also like 1911 style Autos, Some day I'll get one with a larger safety and slide release for easy usage. I also like Double actions like the model 19 or 686p. Not a fan of double action automatics. You?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:04 PM

If it's only what I've actually shot, probably Beretta 92FS. I'd say my 5906 up until recently when the extractor started failing. Gotta get that fixed. The Model 19 was fun as hell to shoot, and just knowing I had the gun itself in my hands was gratifying. I gotta go shoot that thing again................
Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 PM
IMFDB Admin

No doubt the M1911A1 pistol series is my favorite. I also like the Berettas, they have a very smooth slide and shoot nice, although I loathe their replacement of the 1911 in the military.

I like Glocks, I've shot a 17 and a 19 and both were nice guns. I'm not a huge fan of the triggers though, the half-cocked safety system makes the trigger pull half double action every time.

I like the AR-15 series rifles, mainly because they are very nice to shoot and very accurate. Too loud though to shoot often.

I like the M1 Garand a lot, you have to shoot one to really enjoy it. Otherwise it is a 9 1/2 pound hunk of wood and metal that goes "Ping" when you eject the clip from it.

The Springfield 1903 rifles are very nice to shoot as well.

I love revolvers, especially Smith & Wessons. They are much smoother than Colts, but Colts are still decent. The new stainless S&Ws are great, now I don't have to worry about that touchy bluing smudging up.

I like old vintage guns. I love SAAs, Colt Navies, Armys, Remington 1858s, and Winchester rifles. Marlin made a lot of good stuff too but they don't look as nice as Winchesters.

I love guns, frankly. I have my favorite, but as long as it isn't infamous for killing the user shooting it, I'll give it a try.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I love revolvers, especially Smith & Wessons. They are much smoother than Colts, but Colts are still decent. The new stainless S&Ws are great, now I don't have to worry about that touchy bluing smudging up.
Unless you've got an action job on a Smith, it's not better than a Colt, especially a vintage Python. I've got A Colt and a Smith, and while the Smith does have the better action (but not tighter lockup) I can tell it's been opened up and modified. Still, they are the quintessential revolver makes.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:47 AM

The python was a piece of art, one of the greatest made. That doesn;t mean all colts are good. The lawman or trooper, forgot which, was stiff. I shot an unmodified 686p that pulled at just under 8 pounds double action. Performance center makes some awesome guns too.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I haven't really shot enough guns (handled many, not shot). Of the pistols I've shot, I like the Beretta 92 series (and, more specifically, the Taurus PT92 copy) and SIG-Sauers the most. I also have enormous respect for the 1911, but I've only fired one in my entire life so far.

Going back further in time, I think the LeMat revolver was a really cool concept. My Dad owns a more recently-manufactured copy.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:32 AM
IMFDB Admin

The LeMat was an interesting idea but the gun was too heavy and under powered. Basically take a high capacity 9mm and make it weigh a ton and you've got a LeMat today. The underbarrel shotgun was weak too. If someone had cartridge converted the LeMat, it could have become very sucessful.

I really like SAAs and am trying to aquire a Ruger Vaquero for shooting. I can't mess around with my dad's original Colt from 1875.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 AM

I think the Lemat is a super clever concept, but every time I pick one up (repros, obviously) it feels more like I'm holding an axe than a pistol.

I think the Lee-Enfield rifle is just about the finest military rifle ever issued, Garand included. Given that I own 9 of them, I'd say they're my overall favorite.

My favorite automatic is the 1911, specifically the pre-1934 Colt-made 1911s. While the A1 is a big improvement in terms of pointability and the hammer bite issue, the original 1911s are just pretty. I also have a soft spot for the Mauser C/96 and the Webley & Scott autos.

My favorite revolver is the Webley Mk.VI, though I'm also pretty partial to the large-frame Colts. There's no arguing that S&Ws are technologically superior - but Colts are tougher. While my New Service is about the clunkiest revolver I've ever seen, but I just like the feel of the old boat anchor. There's something comforting about knowing even if I miss with all 6 shots, I can still beat him to death with it.

My favorite semi-auto rifle is the Tokarev SVT-40 - I've shot just about all of it's contemporaries short of the Japanese Type-5, but it's easily the most fun. My favorite automatic rifle is the C8A2 carbine - very accurate and I'm comfortable enough with it to use it when I haven't slept for a week. Just wish they'd give me one.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:53 AM

As far as Pistols go I love the Sig-Sauer P-220R. it fits my hand well and they shoot great. As far as Civilian Rifles go I love my Remington M-700P. My shotgun of Choice is the Mossberg 500 series and I have owned two.

As far as Class 3 goes I am a fan of the MP-5K PDW, the M-4A1 carbine with M-203 and the M-60 machinegun. Personally I can't stand the standard Gip on the M-249.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:10 AM

ATM, the only real firearm I've shot is a 22-caliber semi-auto hunting rifle my dad had when I was a kid.

Aside from that, I do quite enjoy shooting my airsoft D-Boys M4A1 w/M203.

I do have an acquaintance who might be getting an LMT MRP gas piston carbine. Maybe I'll get a chance to shoot it someday...

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman