imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-01-2016, 04:55 AM

Just ordered some Pachmayr Signature grips for my 39-2, considering getting more mags; loving this gun so far, is better in every way than I expected. Wondering if it'd also be worth it to track down a set of new sights for it, some that aren't plain black, because I can't pick them up quickly

EDIT: never mind, no one makes replacement rear sights for the 39 series

http://www.introvertisland.com

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 06-01-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:55 AM

I have gotten a mountain of stuff since I last posted and I have some other doodads in the pipeline, but I wanted to share one purchase I'm particularly happy to have obtained, a 1991 Beretta 92FS.

The pictures make the marks on the finish look worse than they are. It's in fantastic overall shape for being as old as me. It came with the original box, original cleaning brush, and an original alloy base 15 round magazine. No warning labels, straight dust cover, made in Italy. I've found that Bruniton Italian preban 92FS's have also become particularly rare, even more rare than Inox models. Aside from an American F (the Beretta used in Die Hard and Lethal Weapon which secured the gun's status in popular culture), this is the quintessential Beretta 92, as it is the pinnacle of the gun's development, and cleaner and cooler than post ban and current production models with cost cutting design compromises and excessive markings.

For me in particular, this gun is also a reclaimed birthright. My dad was in the Army in the 1980's, and from what my family has told me, he purchased a Beretta 92 of some sort when he was discharged. At some point, though, he pawned the gun off and I have no idea where it is now. If he still had it, it'd be in my collection by now I'm sure, but it's lost forever. So, being an ideal model, and being a gun manufactured in my birth year of 1991, this 92FS will serve as an appropriate surrogate. I'm never selling this one.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:21 AM

I forgot pictures of the 39-2!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:51 PM

Just put on the Pachmayrs, they add a ton of thickness to the 39's grip and the backstap cover doesn't fit. Having huge hands, I think they're perfectly fine, but the grip is seriously about the same as my 4506 now

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 06-02-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:26 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I used to think I didn't like Glocks. Now I already have three of them: Gen 3 Glock 34, Gen 2 Glock 17, and Gen 3 Glock 26.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I used to think I didn't like Glocks. Now I already have three of them: Gen 3 Glock 34, Gen 2 Glock 17, and Gen 3 Glock 26.
I started my gun collection not carrying for Glocks either, but they are simple, fairly reasonable price and reliable.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-07-2016, 07:40 AM

I'd buy a police trade in Glock whatever if they were available at a good price at the same time I was looking for something. Then I could tape it under my bathroom sink, or stash it with a friend just in case

Old 06-07-2016, 12:04 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I'd buy a police trade in Glock whatever if they were available at a good price at the same time I was looking for something. Then I could tape it under my bathroom sink, or stash it with a friend just in case
I'd like a used Glock 19 to use in the action pistol competitions at my range and winter carry, but if I have to move back to the People's Republic of New Jersey, I have to give up my CC permit.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:47 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've just recently test fire my G43 and it runs like a champ. Doesn't feel too small to handle and the recoil of the 9mm in a small frame isn't overwhelming to make good shots at close range, which is the intended purpose of this gun.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-08-2016, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I've just recently test fire my G43 and it runs like a champ. Doesn't feel too small to handle and the recoil of the 9mm in a small frame isn't overwhelming to make good shots at close range, which is the intended purpose of this gun.
But does it shoot as well as an all metal double stack compact?

Yes. In a world where micro carry guns are proliferating and everyone is shifting to smaller guns for carry, I stuff a P228 into my pocket every day. The gun is a 1991 P228 with a K-Kote slide and an SRT installed. It was worn when I got it so I won't mind it getting carry wear, and the coating makes it more rust proof than a standard old school SIG slide. It's been about two months and I see no reason to switch back to pocket carrying my Model 60. The P228 barely fits in my pocket with a Remora holster, but it does fit, and the holster breaks up the print enough to where it doesn't look like a gun at all.

Finding a way to carry 2 mags was the harder part of the ordeal really. I ended up just using my oldest mag pouch, a Bianchi Accumold 7302. It looks so generic and boring that it could pass for a tool pouch of some sort. My shirt has come up countless times to where it's visible and no one has acknowledged it or said anything, and I deal with people up close all the time at my current job. People are really too preoccupied with their own lives to notice your gear, not to mention they would have to know what it is in the first place. I really like knowing that I have a far more capable setup than my previous one, and one better than probably 99 percent of CCers in this harsh unforgiving Florida swamp climate.