imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-05-2011, 02:59 AM

Default Cylinder not closing on my revovler.....

Keeps coming out, seems the cylinder release is very stiff and wont go into the closed position, just stays forward. Even holding it back i can only get the cylinder to stayt sometimes, then its a chore rleasing it again. weird.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 AM

What mode of revolver is it?

Last edited by FIVETWOSEVEN; 07-05-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:53 PM

taurus 669

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 PM

Is it a brand new revolver? If it is you can send it back to Taurus. Even if it isn't new they still may be able to fix it for you.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:07 PM

They got a lifetime warranty, but legendarily bad service, its a 1988 made model. i was hoping there may be an easy diy fix to avoid the shipping fees, the hassle, and the not having a working handgun.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 07-05-2011, 07:21 PM

I believe they pay for the shipping. Don't you have other handguns?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 PM

in 21 days i'll have other handguns

Seems it is a cylinder release issue. Wonder if it's easy to fix.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 07-05-2011, 08:47 PM
IMFDB Admin

Are there any local smiths you can take it to? Detail stripping one of them (a revolver) is much more complex than an auto.

Or you can always buy one of the AIG videos and see if you want to tackle it yourself.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM

I had the same problem with a Taurus .22 my family bought. But the problem was fixed by Taurus for free.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Are there any local smiths you can take it to? Detail stripping one of them (a revolver) is much more complex than an auto.

Or you can always buy one of the AIG videos and see if you want to tackle it yourself.
Not exactly. Something S&W based will be relatively easy, not requiring any punches for pins, just screwdrivers to get the sideplate off.

I have some advice as I've opened up my 19 before, but do this at your own risk. Also I'm assuming this gun is built very similarly to a Smith

First off, you can simply unscrew the release latch and see if that helps at all. It'll partially expose the actual release part (I'm not sure of its technical name) which actually depresses the cylinder plunger and unlocks the cylinder.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to take the sideplate off the gun and look inside. Taurus guns are very similar to S&W guns, and being this is an older one I'm assuming it' will be even more similar than say a newer one, but, I reiterate, do this at your own risk. You may just end up with a buncha parts out and you might have no clue how to get them back in. I would find a cutaway or schematic of a Taurus 669 or something similar before doing anything inside the gun or take detailed pictures of it with the parts still in so as to have a frame of reference.

Get out what needs to come out to get to the release part and examine it. In all likelihood it's just filled with carbon or grit from lots of firing, lack of maintenance, or both, or perhaps a spring that's part of the mechanism is caught. The mechanism itself might just need to be taken apart and rebuilt as well, but at the very worst the part is broken and will have to be replaced.

And, as someone else has said, if you aren't daring enough (don't kick yourself for that, I've gotten in too deep myself a couple of times) just take it to a gunsmith and have them take a look, granted they don't charge you too much money.