imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 08-01-2009, 04:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Desert Eagle

Now this has always bothered me. What is the point of the Desert Eagle? I heard it was originally thought of for use to hit engine blocks from cars

But seriously, it's bulky, heavy and isn't even too big to be a sidearm for any military. Who uses this beast?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-01-2009, 04:47 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

You missed Clutch's topic on this...

http://www.imfdb.org/forum/showthrea...t=Desert+Eagle

The short answer is that the Desert Eagle was designed back in the days when Magnum-caliber revolvers were still the most popular weapons on the American handgun market, and it was designed with sports shooters and hunters who wanted a Magnum-caliber semi-auto pistol with a higher capacity higher than that of a revolver. The Automag was basically designed with the same goal, except that unlike the Automag, the Eagle was designed to fire off-the-shelf Magnum rounds rather than the special AMP rounds that had to be made for the Automag. Law enforcement/military purposes were the last thing its designers had in mind.

The Desert Eagle's market was sort of killed by the Wonder Nine revolution of the late-80s/early-90s (when Magnum-caliber revolvers went out of style), but it survived mostly due to its exposure in cinema. That's why Magnum Research so shamelessly promotes the Eagle's appearances in movies (they gave the Eagle its own web site dedicated to its "acting" career).
Old 08-01-2009, 04:59 AM

It's only for people who are douchebags, or those who like to hunt with handguns, though these people usually fall under the douchebag category as well.

My definition of the word "douchebag" is: one who is overly excessive in their pursuit of completion or fulfillment of any task, objective, or requirement. Syn: Overzealous.

Ex: "You know Bill got this sweet new Sniper Rifle. We're gonna go shoot it soon."

"I heard. He got a ghillie suit to go with the thing too, and covered the rifle in reeds."

"Wow, really? What a douchebag move. I just wanted to shoot the thing, not become the Creature from the Black Ops Lagoon."

Anyhow, back to the point, aside from the other things, you buy a Desert Eagle with the mindset you have when you buy a Rolex. You want every son of a bitch who sees you to know that you put down the money to get the most luxurious item you could possibly get, even though there are options that could do the same, or possibly better, job at a more reasonable price. It's an extravagance fit for..... douchebags.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:00 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
It's only for people who are douchebags
Well I guess I'm a douchebag according to you. My Desert Eagle.
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Image...E.357MarkI.jpg

I think what has made the DE a joke in the gun world, is its overuse in movies. People complain about the wide grip. I think that's because they're trying to do it one handed like the agents in the Matrix. I have average size hands and I don't find it hard to shoot, but I use two hands like I do with all my other handguns. I can seen owning one in .357 or .44, common calibers. But not a .50. Those are a novelty. I wanted one in a .44 but since ammo was hard to get and I have a S&W 586. I settled for the .357.

As far as showing it off like a Rolex. I paid $750 for mine. That will barely buy you a semi custom 1911. I don't show it off at the range, because I'm not about to pay $15 the range charges. That's ammo money. I go out to the boonies, behind my great uncles place. Nobody around to show it off to. Which is fine with me.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
]I think what has made the DE a joke in the gun world, is its overuse in movies.
Video games, too. Don't forget the legions of mall ninjas who refuse to believe anything except "ZOMG! Giant bullets". Believe me, I used to be one.
Example:
Quote:
XD Same here but I use Deagle because every 1 shot the M500 shoots the Deagle shoots 2 and the M500 shoots 5000dmg shots but the Deagle shoots 3000 so the Deagle is better in damage in the long run.
Basically it's just "Stopping power, stopping power, stopping power!" And they just refuse to believe and ignore the fact that it weighs damn near as much as a SOPMOD M4 with all the bells and whistles. And as anyone here will agree, all the stopping power on earth means spit when one shot throws you miles off target.

If you like it just out of personal preference, I've got nothing against you for it. But it's the dickheads who cry "accept my opinion" then flame me out for being a Kimber fan that I hate.
Quote:
As far as showing it off like a Rolex. I paid $750 for mine. That will barely buy you a semi custom 1911.
I'd personally splurge and get a custom 1911.

Just my opinion on the monstrosity called the Desert Eagle. No offense intended.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 08-01-2009, 04:09 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Video games, too. Don't forget the legions of mall ninjas who refuse to believe anything except "ZOMG! Giant bullets". Believe me, I used to be one.
Example:

If you like it just out of personal preference, I've got nothing against you for it. But it's the dickheads who cry "accept my opinion" then flame me out for being a Kimber fan that I hate.

I'd personally splurge and get a custom 1911.

Just my opinion on the monstrosity called the Desert Eagle. No offense intended.
I forgot about video games. Not much of a gamer, bought a PS3 for the Blu-Ray mostly and to play what few PS2 games I have.

I get what you're are saying out of personal preference. There are lovers and haters for every gun maker. My DE isn't my favorite gun, by any means. But it's a real fun gun to shoot.

I have a Para 1911 GI Expert. About one of the cheapest 1911 you can get right now. I'd like to eventually get a Colt 70 series and get some work done to it. Probably spend more than $750 too. That will barely cover the gun.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Well I guess I'm a douchebag according to you. My Desert Eagle.
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Image...E.357MarkI.jpg
As long as one has a decent niche for it, like you, they aren't a douchebag. Also, bravo on having a Mark I in .357 of all things. Before that I couldn't find one on the internet.

I don't like the guys who outright buy a Desert Eagle for no reason except they have an excess of money and time, and not enough understanding of the gun world. You decided on one that made sense to you because of what guns you owned (a revolver that was already chambered in .357) and your personal preference, which in this case I will definitely respect (it's okay to disregard personal preference if the person is a complete idiot, I think). I have a friend who has one in .50, but he isn't a complete douchebag for having it, because he knows the gun and it's limits, along with the other 19 guns he owns.

All in all it's just my opinion, and no one has to jump through my hoops, but they should do themselves a favor and consider a giant ass handgun practically. For the record, I have a big ass handgun too (not a Desert Eagle), so I get a few douchebag points, but it's not super caliber and it also helps me learn about revolvers. Pretty fun to shoot too.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:

I don't like the guys who outright buy a Desert Eagle for no reason except they have an excess of money and time, and not enough understanding of the gun world.
I get what you are saying there. Most of those kind of people buy a gold plated .50 DE. Which cost double what I paid for mine. My S&W 586 is the flashiest gun I own actually. It's nickel plated, was going to get a blued one. But it was too clean to pass up and it was a 4".

Quote:
For the record, I have a big ass handgun too (not a Desert Eagle), so I get a few douchebag points, but it's not super caliber and it also helps me learn about revolvers. Pretty fun to shoot too.
What kind?

Last edited by predator20; 08-01-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:19 PM

It's a Smith & Wesson Model 19-5 with a 6 inch barrel.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../Model19-5.png

Not very expensive, but flashy as hell. I got it so I could further my knowledge about revolvers, and Smiths are a lot simpler than Colts.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Not all people who buy Eagles are douchebags, but quite a few I've met are. The only one I've shot (a .50 AE Mark XIX) was owned by the boyfriend of a woman who worked with me. Then I met him at the Christmas Party for the first time, and he was...well, kind of a douche. Not a bad guy or anything, but still douchebag-ish. He was a fitness company consultant or something like that, and I remember our conversation was like 10 minutes of him trying to convince me that my current workout supplement was inadequate so that I'd buy something he had worked on...

Oh, yeah, so back to the Eagle. I guess it's kind of a fun gun to shoot, but the people I've talked to online who owned them (who are not at all douchebags) say that the novelty wears off pretty quickly.