imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Hey, I did a LOT of work on Black Lagoon and if you have seen the page, you can tell these aren't chicken scratch drawings like South Park or Simpsons.

People have asked me about guns in anime and video games. Why not video games?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Hey, I did a LOT of work on Black Lagoon and if you have seen the page, you can tell these aren't chicken scratch drawings like South Park or Simpsons.
And did anyone disparage the QUALITY of the anime artwork? uh. NO.

The point was that a work of ART is not subject to anyone 'wondering' what gun platform the fictional weapon was based on. Any fictional GUN is up to the artists' imagination and frankly, I don't see anyone seriously wondering if any fantasy looking weapon is based on a real one.

The only guns that should be listed from Anime are those which are based on real guns. But it's just so ridiculous that anyone would post a fictional weapon from an anime source. The entire point of the fictional gun section was to educate the public as to what it was based on, built upon, or if it is completely made up special effects prop.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

But none of the guns in most of the animes are fictional. There might be one here and there but the same thing apply to guns like Hellboy's Samaritan. It isn't a real gun, but might have been based on one.

I also have a problem with some of the guns posted in anime that aren't real or based on anything real, but since we don't have a don't post fictional weapons if they are not real, people do it anyway.

I mean, if a gun looks like this:

It's fine, because it's a real gun.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
But none of the guns in most of the animes are fictional.
You're arguing over something which no one disagrees with. I said remove the very few FICTIONAL weapons that are from ANIME (from the fictional guns list), not the real guns.

Well, I think we have resolved this issue .... in a really painful and convoluted manner that is......
Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 PM

I think that fictional weapons should be restricted to the article/movie they appear in and they should not get their own individual page. I mean why would you make a separate page for a weapon that is only going to appear in a single film/series.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

But then this guy, Stan the man said that there's no rules that specifically prohibits fictional weapons and it would be best to have them on the site to point out that they are not real. How do I respond to that logic?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
But then this guy, Stan the man said that there's no rules that specifically prohibits fictional weapons and it would be best to have them on the site to point out that they are not real. How do I respond to that logic?
Tell him to stfu because you are an admin which makes you right. Since you are an admin he has no right to argue with you. He is just some nub in his basement so his opinion doesn't matter.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:28 AM
IMFDB Admin

Well I don't want to seem like a rude asshole with the feeling of my cock's bigger than yours because I got admin power

Old 05-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Ok here is what is bothering me right now.

What do we do about pages for weapons that are just fictional varients of real weapons and the weapon in question is just a real weapon with a couple of things added to make them seem futuristic. Personally with weapons like those notes on the real weapon's page works for me. We don't need pages for dressed up weapons that you can instantly tell what they are.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Ok here is what is bothering me right now.

What do we do about pages for weapons that are just fictional varients of real weapons and the weapon in question is just a real weapon with a couple of things added to make them seem futuristic. Personally with weapons like those notes on the real weapon's page works for me. We don't need pages for dressed up weapons that you can instantly tell what they are.
Well, I have a bias, working in the industry, but it's cool to see what REAL GUN was used to build a fictional weapon. And it's interesting to know what real gun, if any, was used as the platform for a completely fabricated sci fi weapon. Also it's good to be able to educate the public that something which may seem real, is in fact, not.

But drawn fictional guns are ridiculous. The public will never care because the artist has so much leeway, plus it doesn't exist in real life. A real 3 dimensional 'I can hold it in my hands' prop is much more deserving of a page to tell people its genesis than a drawn prop.