imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:19 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Same here. I would never actually use an old fashion first generation M16A1. I prefer the A2 model over any of the other ones.

I'd prefer to slap a shorter barrel onto an A2 lower because I like to get a burst fire than full auto.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-22-2009, 08:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

I think the A2 is a little too heavy (9lbs is a little hefty) and long (which is bad for inside where the zombies can grab you quickly) so I'd say the M4A1 carbine or the Colt 933 would seem like better choices.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

No, you'd want range and acccuracy with a rifle. Sure an M4 or shorty is good for CQB, but when facing zombies, it's mute point to go indoors or close quarters with a rifle. And the M4 as much of a sweet carbine it is, accuracy can't beat a full length M16 and an A2 really isn;t that heavy once you get used to it

If you go inside a building, it's shotgun all the way or handguns.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 05-23-2009, 06:16 PM

Yeah but I am talking about a gun that is most efficient without having to carry a whole other weapon system. I don't want to carry my Carbine and THEN a shotgun too. Not only do we have two guns, but two ammo types to carry as well, and shotgun ammo is bulky and a bit heavy if you carry a lot of it, along with magazines for two other guns. Also, the accuracy point is void as we're not trying to kill zombies from hundreds of yards away, we're talking close to medium ranges, or whatever is necessary to keep you alive, not at the top of the zombie killing scoreboards.

I do admit that a handgun is probably the best idea for indoors, as they are a lot smaller and easier to maneuver than any long gun, but it doesn't hurt to have a 30+1 rifle that can do the job at the sacrifice of a little movement gone.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 PM
IMFDB Admin

Meh, the Law Enforcement Carbine worked well for Robert Neville, I think a similair weapon would work fine for me. You guys talk about the accuracy of an M16A2 to an M4A1 Carbine as if one is a rifle and another is a smooth bore musket. Both have the ability to hit something at a decent range, except one is heavier and longer. Maybe if I'm sniping zombies from a water tower I'd use an A2 but I think an M4A1 would work fine. I'd also carry a Mossberg 500 Cruiser (probably stuck in my supply bag as a backpack gun) and a 1911.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:53 PM

I understand and appreciate your clever use of hperbole, GM, but I am saying the accuracy differs from both guns, but not greatly, nor greatly enough for a preference of the full size rifles. At good distance the 14.5 barreled guns will lose out to the 20 inch barreled guns, but the point I am making is that you don't need the accuracy at 3-400 yards that a full size gives you. We're talking 50 yards or less, so the carbines and supercarbines (11.5 inchers) win out because of increased mobility and similar if not the exact same accuracy at that distance that the bigger bulkier full sized rifles. I don't know where the cutoff point is for accuracy for the carbine, and how it compares to a full size, but I know that for the situation, the carbines are better. I only like the 11.5 inch supercarbines because they have only 3 inches of barrel gone, but the same sight radius, so you get more mobility without too much more accuracy sacrifice, as well as a better feel for point shooting if the situation calls for it. 733 is just a model number too, they are built off whatever M16 parts are left, so I could have one with a more reliable A2 or M4A1 upper if I really felt that the A1 was garbage. I just don't like the windage adjustment.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:23 AM
IMFDB Admin

I guess in the end it boils down to if the zombies come right now. We'd be all stuck with whatever guns we have on us at the moment. I got my Desert Warrior and a couple hundred rounds of .45 ACP ammo. I can dream about getting an AR-15 rifle or a shotgun, but I am a long way from getting any of those. So, I'm just stuck with my handgun until I can by some chance stumble on someone else's rifle that I can steal.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:07 PM

Jeez, if we're limited to the firearms we have RIGHT NOW I'd be pretty screwed.
I have a surplus Arisaka Type 99, and a very nice vintage .22 that belonged to my great grand-father, sadly without a firing pin currently.
So I have one functioning milsurp rifle with no ammo, and one non functioning plinker.
I will probably not make it past the first night.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:08 PM

Limited to the firearms we have now... well, I suppose I could use my airsoft M4A1 as a club...

I'd wait until the zombies swarm and kill that @$$hole that lives next door to me, then I'd wait for an opportunity to get a hold of that Kimber TLE II he got a few months ago.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 PM

I have an 870 a savage bolt .22 and a henry lever that cant hit anythin and jams all the time (sending it back). The base has m16s and sig 229s and a couple 240bs. My girlfriends dad has several 1911s and a 8 3/8in mod 29. I have friends w/ guns all over. Im set.
Closed Thread