imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 04-05-2009, 05:25 AM

Default movies

"Thief" with James Caan was good.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
And the fact that highly trained delta operators waist fire and one hand the whole time.
And they can nail you right between the eyes when doing it, too. Fvck boot camp, let's send'em all to Hollywood for training! XD

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

While I can appreciate when an actor handles a gun properly, and filmmakers and editors take the time to count shots, I never expect films to depict realistic gunfights.

I'd rather see something dynamic and exciting than something realistic anyway. Something that works in parameters of the story they are telling and the mood they are setting.

Last Man Standing was based on a samurai fable called Yojimbo. It's not supposed to be real. At. All.

Open Range had some gun work that was meant to feel more realistic, but still be exciting. Same with Heat. It's supposed to "feel" realistic, but it's not. Not at all. The actors were trained, so they handle the weapons well, even do brass checks and we see them reload and fire without edits.

This is usually not done because actors have a bad tendency to try and slap a mag in backwards, so they cut to a close up of the prop master's hands doing it.

Michael Mann is a director who understands, handles, owns, and fires guns. His new film "Public Enemies" is a return to gun heavy storytelling for him, and I am looking forward to it. meanwhile, I thought his film version of Miami Vice, while having it's moments, was mostly boring and flat.

I'm also looking forward to seeing films I know will probably show guys and girls doing gymnastics while firing 2 guns.

I liked Street Kings too, but didn't feel it was realistic, just well done.

Appaloosa was just a great story, well told with great performances. But if you read the book, gun handling was a big part of it. Reloading, the proper stance in a duel, and using rifles while on horseback were important to the story because Ed Harris read about them in the book and wanted that to carry over.

Death Sentence was WAY over the top, but it was dynamic and blood pumping. And by the time you get to the end and he's a one man army it doesn't need to be real. He's blowing holes the size of garage doors through buildings, but it works because it fits the mood of the film.

Ok, this post is long enough.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:26 AM

The Little Boheima shootout in "Public Enemies" was pretty realistic. They did a good job of using the hand held camera. To hell with it, all of Michael Mann's action films are so fucking good with shootouts and gun choices and cast. Tony Scott's films are also pretty good with the cast and firearm choices. He also does a good job with camera work. "Domino" was good with dialogue and charactor development. The film was like an acid trip.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Heat, Black Hawk Down naturally.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-20-2009, 06:51 PM

enemy of the state had a good depiction of a shoot out at the end.
that's basically all it is, shooting at each other.

all dazed and confused
Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 PM

End fight of Open Range stands out in westerns as both heroes and villains are wasting quite a lot of shots, and only scoring sure hits when basically standing next to the opponent (thought Costner's 16-shot SAA and the part when Duvall kills a thug with shotgun were pretty Hollywood). Similar thing happened at the end of Unforgiven, where Munny drew his gun last, but kept his cool while others in the saloon were panicfiring.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:54 PM

Appaloosa seemed to have some realistic shootouts. It didn't take a whole lot of time for everyone to be laid out on the ground in that movie, that's for sure.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

The Unit and Ultimate Force had some realistic shootouts

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-24-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
The Unit and Ultimate Force had some realistic shootouts
At least until they started making 100-yard bulls eyes with pistols.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman