imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 09-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default F.I.E. Titan Tiger aka Arminius

Does anyone have any experience with this revolver? I've heard that the Arminius revolvers that were imported by F.I.E. and are now imported by EAA are actually pretty good revolvers though I've also heard that they lack alot when it comes to quality control. Just curious. It plays such a large role in Dawn of the Dead (1978). Allegedly they're very popular in Europe, but then from what I've heard about gun prices in Europe Arminius might be popular because of prices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 350px-FIE_Titan_Tiger.jpg (24.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Jcordell; 09-02-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 PM

No personal experience with them, but I've heard they're alright budget guns, but not the quality of a "name brand" gun. That's the case with alot of postwar German revolvers, just look at the Herbert Schmidt .22s. Think of it as the 1960s equivlent to a Hi Point pistol.

Last edited by Nyles; 09-02-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
No personal experience with them, but I've heard they're alright budget guns, but not the quality of a "name brand" gun. That's the case with alot of postwar German revolvers, just look at the Herbert Schmidt .22s. Think of it as the 1960s equivlent to a Hi Point pistol.
Got it. You know it's funny that you mentioned Hi-Point. A few years ago we had a guy kill another guy dead with a 45 caliber Hi-Pont. It was a road rage inccident and soon to be dead guy got out of his car with a pool cue stick. The shooter pulled out his Hi-Point from his glove box, racked a round and shot the (soon to be) dead guy five times in the chest from the cab of his pickup.

I'm a cop so I was involved with the investigation. I processed the Hi-Point and I remember thinking whatever else I might think of Hi-Point's product it did it's job. End of discussion.

The prosecutor took it to court and the jury found him inoccent - justifiable homicide (self-defense). The defense attorney made me hold the pool cue stick while I was on the stand and asked me if somebody was agressing me holding such a thin if I would use deadly force. I said yes. The prosecutor wasn't real happy with me, but I wasn't going to lie.

A few days after he was cleared he came over to the department and we returned his Hi-Point to him to include the remaining two rounds. That was an interesting experience.

The year before that shooting we had two guys get in a fight. The guilty party shot the victim once with a 25 acp Raven pistol and killed the victim dead as a doorknob. The guilty guy then fled the scene. He however went to prison after we caught him in Oregon. Circumstances were different but he tried self-defense as well.

When I'm instructing new officers (rookies) I tell them not to look down or underestimate the so-called "junk" guns. They might not have what it takes to be along-term shooter and they're probably ugly, but all they have to do is go bang once or twice.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 AM

Back in the late 70s, a place I worked at sold them. They were better than the RGI handguns, but also used a sleeved barrel. It was also forbidden to use any +P+ ammo as the metal was so soft, it would destroy the cylinder.

What really frightened me, is that for awhile I worked for Pinkerton's, and they issued RGI 38s to their supervisors. Both the barrel, and the cylinder were sleeved on the RGIs.

David.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
Got it. You know it's funny that you mentioned Hi-Point. A few years ago we had a guy kill another guy dead with a 45 caliber Hi-Pont. It was a road rage inccident and soon to be dead guy got out of his car with a pool cue stick. The shooter pulled out his Hi-Point from his glove box, racked a round and shot the (soon to be) dead guy five times in the chest from the cab of his pickup.

I'm a cop so I was involved with the investigation. I processed the Hi-Point and I remember thinking whatever else I might think of Hi-Point's product it did it's job. End of discussion.

The prosecutor took it to court and the jury found him inoccent - justifiable homicide (self-defense). The defense attorney made me hold the pool cue stick while I was on the stand and asked me if somebody was agressing me holding such a thin if I would use deadly force. I said yes. The prosecutor wasn't real happy with me, but I wasn't going to lie.

A few days after he was cleared he came over to the department and we returned his Hi-Point to him to include the remaining two rounds. That was an interesting experience.

The year before that shooting we had two guys get in a fight. The guilty party shot the victim once with a 25 acp Raven pistol and killed the victim dead as a doorknob. The guilty guy then fled the scene. He however went to prison after we caught him in Oregon. Circumstances were different but he tried self-defense as well.

When I'm instructing new officers (rookies) I tell them not to look down or underestimate the so-called "junk" guns. They might not have what it takes to be along-term shooter and they're probably ugly, but all they have to do is go bang once or twice.
My mom owns a nickel Raven .25 pistol in a girl velvet box with pink grips. So of course I may consider it kind of a girly gun. And there is Jeff Cooper's analysis of the .25 ACP round...
Old 09-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krel View Post
Back in the late 70s, a place I worked at sold them. They were better than the RGI handguns, but also used a sleeved barrel. It was also forbidden to use any +P+ ammo as the metal was so soft, it would destroy the cylinder.

What really frightened me, is that for awhile I worked for Pinkerton's, and they issued RGI 38s to their supervisors. Both the barrel, and the cylinder were sleeved on the RGIs.

David.
Soft steel. That's like an oxymoron. A revolver with soft steel.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:52 PM

I love Dawn of the Dead.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_Goodbomb View Post
I love Dawn of the Dead.
I love fuzzy slippers
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I love good beer, S&W revolvers, gourmet coffee and my wife - not necessarily in that order.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I love fuzzy slippers
The FIE Titan Tiger was used in the film.