imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 12-03-2010, 04:01 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default An Electric airpot danger

My parent's own an electric water boiler for the obvious, boil their drinking water and the device is designed to keep the water at near boiling temperature constantly.

The only name brand I can get from it is that it's called "Clever Electric Airpot" and from the language, it's most likely made in China and it is designed for Chinese speaking people because the language on the device is Chinese. Anyway, we've had this for over a year now and it's almost been constantly running. Which could have been the first mistake, that it was most likely not designed to be kept on all the time.

Anyway, about a month ago, I discovered every time I open the lid, there is this unknown white substance in the water. I ignored it at first until I find out it is persisting. I immediately washed the pot until its clean and filled it with water. Then later on, the white stuff kept coming back. I noticed it was very powdery from just observing it. At first I thought it came from my Breta water filter jug I have that also filters out water. Because the pitcher filter is colored white and the white substance is white so logic says it was that, but then I figured it out on accident.

First I saw a rather large chuck of...something in the water and when I picked it up, almost immediately it crumbled to my touch. I thought it was a piece of cracker or something, so I brought it to sniff it. No smell and the more I touch it, the more I see that this small piece is the source of the spots of white powder. I kept wondering where this came from because the faucet is too small for such a large chunk of whatever to get through without me noticing. Then I stared at the lid. I took a wooden chopstick and poked at the hole, when I saw through the metal plate and on the otherside, something that was crumbling from damage.

Under the lid of the water boiler is a metal plate that I assume helps with the boiling of the water. There was a series of holes where the hot steam flows out and through the plate is a series of plastic like filters that pretty much guides the steam out through a port at the top of the lid.

The source of this crumbling white powder substance is a piece of the device. I can't tell if it is ceramic or very cheap plastic, but the startling discovery is that the center of it is crumbling to the touch of anything. I don't know if this has been filling into my drinking water, but I began to pour out everything that contained the hot water from this device.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 AM

that's scary
stay safe
and if you wake up w/ super powers, let us know
Old 12-03-2010, 04:08 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

So far, I've been waking up and still able to see. Cause your eyesight is the first thing to go with plastic poisoning

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Banned

Jesus Christ throw that shit out and get one made in America why the hell would you buy Chinese appliances even their dry wall will kill you
Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

and why do you need to constantly boil your drinking water? do you live in a refugee camp?
Old 12-03-2010, 04:00 PM
IMFDB Admin

First off, I didn't buy it. My mom bought it. I drink cold water from a Breta filter. She just likes hot water.

And drinking warm water in the cold time? or for boiling tea? I wonder why we always need warm water?

Some people like their tap water to be clean

Old 12-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
First off, I didn't buy it. My mom bought it. I drink cold water from a Breta filter. She just likes hot water.

And drinking warm water in the cold time? or for boiling tea? I wonder why we always need warm water?

Some people like their tap water to be clean
Boiling tap water doesn't clean it, it just disinfects it.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
Boiling tap water doesn't clean it, it just disinfects it.
You know what I meant

Old 12-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
You know what I meant
So they're legitimately concerned about bugs in their water but the fluoride and chlorine don't bother them?
Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

I guess not. What water do you drink?