imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-13-2009, 01:43 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Don't want to say, "I told you so", but...

Someone posted this on TFL, so I thought I should do the same for us:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/193589

Again, it's always good to buy up now if you're the kind of person who believes in taking precautions. But it really seems as though even Obama and his cronies are extremely afraid of what havoc a new AWB could wreck upon the Democrats' standing in Congress before the next elections.

Remember that the VPC's Josh Sugarmann once admitted that the entire reason the gun controllers shifted focus to trying to ban assault weapons was because they could see by the 1980s that banning handguns would be impossible. Right now, it's looking as though the same is true of AWs - too many people own them for a new ban to ever be passed.

Last edited by MT2008; 04-13-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

From what I read here, they are also focusing on a bigger issue, the economy. If they ever settle the economic problems we go, they might go back on firearms, but it could be awhile.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-13-2009, 02:25 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
From what I read here, they are also focusing on a bigger issue, the economy. If they ever settle the economic problems we go, they might go back on firearms, but it could be awhile.
...which they won't, because they're Democrats.

I remember when I first got introduced to shooting (and I've been doing so since I was 10), there were few people at our local range who owned AKs, AR-15s, or other such weapons. Now, it seems like half the people I meet have at least one. I dunno what the stats are, but going by anecdote, I feel like AW ownership is much more common nowadays.

So that's why I'm not sure a new AWB is going to happen at all anymore, even later. There are simply too many people who own them, and who will make believers out of the Democrats if they ever try another AWB.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Sorry to burst your bubble but the threat is still there

See the attached article
Quote:
Obama: 'I have not backed off' on assault weapons ban
By Sam Youngman
Posted: 04/16/09 07:26 PM [ET]

Political realities make reinstating the assault weapons ban extraordinarily difficult, President Obama said Thursday, but he stressed he is still in favor of the gun control measure.

Obama, joined by Mexican President Felipe Calderon at a press conference in Mexico City, said he and Calderon discussed the ban "extensively" during their meeting earlier in the day.

Mexican officials have said in recent days that they would like to see the ban reinstated, noting that more than 90 percent of guns recovered in Mexico come from the U.S.

The White House was quick to blunt comments Attorney General Eric Holder made earlier this year supportive of pursuing a reinstatement, but Obama said Thursday that he has not changed his position.

"I have not backed off at all from my belief that the assault weapons ban makes sense," Obama said, adding that he is not "under any illusions that reinstating that ban would be easy."

Instead, the president said his administration is focused on enforcing laws that are already on the books, like targeting guns that are illegally smuggled over the border that are "helping to fuel extraordinary violence" as the drug trade soars.

"That's something we can stop," Obama said.

Calderon acknowledged that the assault weapons ban, opposed by many Republicans and some conservative Democrats, is one of the "thorny topics," and he said it has to be approached with a "great deal of sensitivity."

"We know that it is a politically delicate topic," Calderon said, claiming that his government respects the policies and decisions of Congress.

Obama said he would push the Senate to ratify CIFTA, an interhemispheric small-arms treaty that was signed during the Clinton's administration but stalled in the upper chamber.

Obama said he is "confident" the two countries can make progress on the epidemic of gun and drug violence along the border, but he acknowledged that it is unrealistic to think the problems can be eliminated altogether. Instead, the president said he would like to see drug-related violence reduced to the point it "becomes a localized criminal problem."

"That's the kind of progress I think can be made," Obama said. "We're going to be very focused on this. It's going to be a top priority."

In addition to guns, Obama and Calderon said they discussed immigration and the global economic crisis, and they announced a bilateral "framework" on energy and climate change.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:25 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Of course the threat is still there. It will almost surely continue to exist as long as the Democrats control Congress. But they are very timid. That much has become clear. Our job now is to remind them why they should still be timid, and that we will bury them in the next election.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

I figured it out! Obama is focusing on banning "assault weapons" instead of fixing the economy because people during the depression in the 1920-30s had machine guns and caused great devistation, so if he strips us of our semi-auto "assault" rifles, no one can step up and be the next Dillenger.

Or I maybe I just need to sleep and think before I write......