imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
sillybunz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I seriously don't care about the cup and saucer grip anymore. If I see it, I'll notice it, but it's not going to "ruin" a movie for me. The Hurt Locker was a great movie. So what if the man didn't hold the gun right. Army guys gets very little handgun training to begin with.
I didn't say the only thing that ruin the movie is the cup and saucer grip. It was just the last straw. The movie was completely embarrasing as in they made the soldiers looks like retards and didn't know what the hell they were doing. I even found a video which list all these retarded mistakes because there is just too much to list for this piece of crap of a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq2PNmCCE9w
Old 11-05-2010, 12:39 PM
sillybunz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
What's wrong with the "Cup and Saucer Grip" it is an official US Army approved grip...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../chap2.htm#2-1
It's outdated by years and the U.S. Army doesn't use it anymore. We're taught either the thumbs tucked grip or thumbs forward grip.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:45 PM
sillybunz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Burn notice he has his finger on the trigger with hammer back, hurt locker may make sense, as many army units have only done familiarisation with the beretta, no extensive training. I see CG shooter cup and saucering the SIG. As long as they meet there qualifications each year nobody cares.
No extensive training, really? Why would they carry Berettas then if they weren't even trained with it? EOD has to be trained in the m4/m16, beretta m9, and some of them even the m14 ebr so yeah. Also the military does care how you hold a weapon to get well aimed shots. Shit if the military didn't care, I could be shooting with one hand with an m4 all the time as long as I pass qualifications, according to you. No, not in the military. Sorry buddy.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:57 PM

I know a U.S. Marshall who fires homie style during offhand shooting with a glock 22 since he has to use right eye to do it. Seriously, its up to whos giving instruction to care. If somebody nails dead center with cup and saucer i doubt many people will give a damn, besides, many soldiers barely touch a beretta outside boot.

Apparently in the 80s the army taught cup and saucer. On burn notice it may make sense to use this grip. Michael was army and then freelanced as a spy. So his training may have been that.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-05-2010, 12:57 PM
sillybunz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
It's a disgrace to the U.S. Army because Jeremy Renner holds a Beretta with cup-and-saucer grip? LOL. Personally, I thought "Green Zone" was far more disgraceful to the U.S. Army than "The Hurt Locker" could ever have been.

We've already had a gazillion topics about this same subject, and personally, I think that the complaints about actors' gun handling are getting kind of played out. Yes, many actors hold firearms in inappropriate ways that one would expect their character to know are wrong. If that really bothers you so much, don't watch movies or TV.
First, Green Zone executed almost perfectly because his whole team in the movie were actual Afganistan/Iraq war veterans. Perfect trigger discipline, perfect tactics, and perfect weapons handling. I know he goes rogue by himself like half of the movie and shoots a green beret, but Matt Damon played a soldier damn near perfect.

In Hurt Locker, the whole movie was a cluster fuck, not just his horrible grip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq2PNmCCE9w

Second, I'm not complaining about every movie with bad gun handling, just the police and military movies that are modern. If we had more directors like Michael Mann and Christopher McQuarrie, then maybe we'll get somewhere with these inaccuracies.

Last, it should matter because if you're going to portray a person who is trained extensively on firearms such as a cop or soldier, do it right. Yuo know how much training these people go through and get bitched at improper grip and no trigger discipline. ALOT! I should know because I was U.S. Army infantry.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM

I see grip as excusable but trigger discipline is just common sense. Everyone should know it, the only people in movies that should be touching the trigger are characters who have never held one before, like being given one first time, or street thugs and such. A cop should not have the finger wrapped around a glock trigger.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
sillybunz13

Quote:
I know a U.S. Marshall who fires homie style during offhand shooting with a glock 22 since he has to use right eye to do it. Seriously, its up to whos giving instruction to care. If somebody nails dead center with cup and saucer i doubt many people will give a damn, besides, many soldiers barely touch a beretta outside boot.

Apparently in the 80s the army taught cup and saucer. On burn notice it may make sense to use this grip. Michael was army and then freelanced as a spy. So his training may have been that.
First of all, In the 80's, they were taught either thumbs tucked grip and the old stacked thumbs grip, so Michael Weston is still wrong lol. My father was a soldier through the 1980's.

Second of all, it does matter on the grip and the trigger discipline on every cop, federal agent, soldier, etc. If you were to go through any of the training these people go through, they bitch at you until you get it right (that's including grip and trigger discipline). I should know, I went through it.

Last, soldiers don't touch a beretta at boot camp. You get trained with it at your unit.

Last edited by sillybunz13; 11-05-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 PM

I know marines do familiarisation training, dont know i that means shooting or just classroom stuff, kind of assumed the army would at least do something, USCG does only pistol in basic and no rifle/shotgun/240. They care way more about muzzle and trigger discipline than grip, ive noticed a lot of female shooters doing the teacup grip.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 PM
sillybunz13

Quote:
I know marines do familiarisation training, dont know i that means shooting or just classroom stuff, kind of assumed the army would at least do something, USCG does only pistol in basic and no rifle/shotgun/240. They care way more about muzzle and trigger discipline than grip, ive noticed a lot of female shooters doing the teacup grip.
Marines get more than familiarisation training on any weapon. They are trained for at least a week on the handgun. Plus the USCG barely has any combat jobs anyways but the people who would have a combat job would not have a teacup grip. If you saw women with teacups in pictures, it was probably during training before they got corrected by an instructor.

Last edited by sillybunz13; 11-05-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Young Gun

In The Hurt Locker's defense, Sgt. James wasn't the sanest individual out there. Still, it always annoys me when people ignore the foregrip out there.
Closed Thread