imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Oh man I was reading the G&A newsletter yesterday, and one of the articles was 8 best guns for a Zombie Apocalypse, because zombies are far too in vogue right now. One of their selections was the Smith & Wesson Model 59, and not only does that not make very much sense for zombies, they used MPM's picture of a Model 59 in the article! Guns & Ammo used your picture! I couldn't believe it.
I just wished they would at least credit IMFDB and drive more traffic here But it's kinda cool that well known gun periodicals (at least the online versions) are looking to IMFDB as a resource.

I stopped worrying as much when I started hearing from people who were NOT part of the IMFDB team of Mods or Super Members, who recognized the pic as coming from IMFDB, or even our info. These are regular Joe Public who are saying "Hey that pics from IMFDB!" Awesome.

It's gone way beyond any other site's ability to either supercede us or jack our glory. People already know that the stuff is ours LOL.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I just wished they would at least credit IMFDB and drive more traffic here But it's kinda cool that well known gun periodicals (at least the online versions) are looking to IMFDB as a resource.

I stopped worrying as much when I started hearing from people who were NOT part of the IMFDB team of Mods or Super Members, who recognized the pic as coming from IMFDB, or even our info. These are regular Joe Public who are saying "Hey that pics from IMFDB!" Awesome.

It's gone way beyond any other site's ability to either supercede us or jack our glory. People already know that the stuff is ours LOL.
This is a bit of a 180 for you, no? I never thought I'd see you acting so cool about the idea of your pics being used on other sites, permission or not. Have you had a change of heart, or are you merely taking the pragmatic route?

And BTW, I don't think you were wrong to desire some credit for the images on sites where they appear.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
This is a bit of a 180 for you, no? I never thought I'd see you acting so cool about the idea of your pics being used on other sites, permission or not. Have you had a change of heart, or are you merely taking the pragmatic route?

And BTW, I don't think you were wrong to desire some credit for the images on sites where they appear.
No, not really. and yes, I still strongly disagree with your previous points (in the far past on this matter) for the following reasons. My outrage was primariliy about people taking CREDIT for the photographs. Like people we shall not mention, nor kids who post the pics as if THEY create them on their own video game wiki pages, etc. etc. and depending on how the image is used, I still file copyright infringement claims (rather than complete ignore the thefts like you suggested I do ) The gunbroker and Gunsamerica thefts are just pathetic, but also misleading to the buyers. It would be a bigger concern to me if not that I've run into so many 'buyer's who say "Hey, that pic's from IMFDB". Once that happens, people won't be fooled into thinking that this is a picture of 'THEIR" gun. The dynamic has changed. MPM pics are being recognized as being such. The risk of others building their own reputations and websites off of my hard work lessens each day, as IMFDB dominates cyberspace. I remember that you thought that the images should be shared with others and I still strongly disagree. You can't stop all theft, there is not enough resources to do so, but we must still be consistent. I go after folks when I can. That allows me to be consistent when I go after someone who really steals from us. If we were to adopt a policy of open sharing, then a 'cease and desist option' would no longer be available to us.

Edit: for example, I (aka IMFDB) still exercises our copyrights against abuser. If suddenly some guy published a desktop book with my pics in it and sells it for profit, I can still sue him. Openly sharing the images as a matter of policy would eliminate any challenge to that and his lawyers would know that.

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 11-17-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:07 AM

Speaking of jacked images, one of your M4s popped up on the SOCOM wiki.

http://socom.wikia.com/wiki/Colt_M4A1_carbine

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-18-2011, 07:20 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post

Didn't even bother changing the file name.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:38 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I want to use that Colt M$ (is that pronounced "Microsoft" since it's a video game wiki?) in Real Life.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post

All of the gun images he uploaded (SCAR L and H as well) came off here from the looks of things, although the SCARs aren't MPM images.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:22 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

To be fair to that wiki, the guy's not an admin and has made 11 edits to it in total.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I want to use that Colt M$ (is that pronounced "Microsoft" since it's a video game wiki?) in Real Life.
No. I know this because SOCOM is a Playstation exclusive.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman