imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 AM

Default Theoretical: The SOCOM M4A1 post-adoption of the FN AC

As most of you here probably know, a modified version of the SCAR-L termed the AC, or Advanced Carbine, was entered into the Army's Individual Carbine competition.

And as we all know, SOCOM previously decided against ordering the SCAR-L since it doesn't do anything that a well maintained M4A1 won't. But I got to thinking, if the FN AC were actually adopted as the new standard US Army carbine, what would this mean for the M4s in SOCOM's inventory? Would they maintain it as their standard 5.56mm carbine (while the M4 becomes a second-tier weapon in the regular forces) or would there be a backtrack in SCAR-L acquisition by SOCOM? I can't see them accepting the FN AC since the charging handle was modified to be non-reciprocating, removal of a key feature that SOCOM specifically wanted. Or would they? Or would they take the opportunity to standardize the HK416 as organization-wide issue?

I realize SOCOM and FN are working on a 5.56mm caliber conversion for the SCAR-H, but let's say for the purpose of this discussion that it hits a dead end/gets canned/we go to war with Belgium over who makes a better waffle and FN decides to no longer supply us with guns/whatever, what happens?

Just for the record, I'm not expecting anything except maybe a piston-driven M4 out of the IC competition.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman