imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 01-31-2010, 03:39 PM

Default China threatens sanctions on US? LMAO

Quote:
Beijing, China (CNN) -- China has threatened to slap sanctions on American companies that sell arms to its rival Taiwan as part of a range of punitive actions Beijing is taking to protest the deal.

China also summoned U.S. ambassador Jon Huntsman to express its anger over Washington's announcement, the official Chinese news agency Xinhua said, citing the Foreign Ministry.

Beijing also suspended plans for visits between the Chinese and U.S. militaries and postponed a high-level arms control meeting, it announced Saturday, following Washington's $6.4-billion arms deal with Taiwan.

China's Defense Ministry said the decision was made "in consideration of the serious harm and impacts on Sino-U.S. military relations" brought about by the arms deal, according to Xinhua.

"China will make further judgments as appropriate," Xinhua reported.

China had already complained to the United States about the deal, announced Friday by the Obama administration.

Chinese Vice Foreign Minister He Yafei called it a "rude interference in China's internal affairs, severely endangering China's national security" and said China expressed its "strong indignation."

The arms sale includes 60 Black Hawk helicopters, totaling $3.1 billion; 114 advanced Patriot air defense missiles; a pair of Osprey mine-hunting ships; and dozens of advanced communications systems.

The deal with Taiwan -- which neither China nor the United States recognizes as an independent country -- does not include F-16 fighter jets, which China has vehemently opposed.

The State Department described the latest round of arms sales to Taiwan as a way to guarantee security and stability, despite China's objections.

"This is a clear demonstration of the commitment this administration has to provide Taiwan with defensive weapons it needs and as provided for in the Taiwan Relations Act," State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said Friday.

He said the action is consistent with Washington's "one-China" policy and will help maintain security and stability across the Taiwan Strait.

The arms sales come as the United States is hoping to persuade China to sign on to harsher sanctions against Iran and just after Secretary of State Hillary Clinton criticized China for its policies relating to the Internet.

Crowley would not speak directly about the timing of the announcement of the sales, and about the fact that the arms package does not include F-16s.

A senior U.S. official said later that the United States expected Chinese criticism of the arms deal, but does not expect permanent damage.

The official said he believed Clinton had discussed the sale in London with her Chinese counterpart on the sidelines of Thursday's international conference on Afghanistan.

"This relationship between the United States and China is broad, it's deep. There are a large number of issues. We don't see eye to eye with them and we have to have and do have the ability to speak honestly," the official said.

The arms deal is the latest chapter in a decades-long uneasy standoff. China claims Taiwan is its own territory and has threatened to invade if Taiwan ever declares independence. The United States has said it will defend Taiwan if China ever attacks.

The government in Taiwan began as the remnant of the government that ruled over mainland China until a Communist insurrection proved victorious in 1949. With the Communist takeover of mainland China, the losing faction fled to the island of Taiwan. Taiwan is formally known as the Republic of China, while Communist China's official name is People's Republic of China.

Many Western nations and the United Nations recognized Taiwan as the legitimate Chinese government until the 1970s.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ef=igoogle_cnn

China sanction us? Yeah, I'd like to see them try.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 01-31-2010, 04:10 PM

Screw China.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:04 PM

Wow China. Thanks for everything.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:23 PM

We ought to tel those bastards to stop putting lead in every goddam thing we import from them or we'll increase the amount of help we give to Taiwan

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 01-31-2010, 06:43 PM

I say we ought to tax the hell out of companies who do business in China as an "incentive" for them to GTFO.

You know, the world says we shouldn't "meddle" in other countries' affairs, yet no one seems to have a problem with meddling in our foreign affairs. Go figure.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM

3 words for those squinty eyed bastards:

KISS. MEH. ASS.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I say we ought to tax the hell out of companies who do business in China as an "incentive" for them to GTFO.

You know, the world says we shouldn't "meddle" in other countries' affairs, yet no one seems to have a problem with meddling in our foreign affairs. Go figure.
If it weren't for our "meddling", all hell would have broken loose years ago

Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
If it weren't for our "meddling", all hell would have broken loose years ago
Hey, you're preaching to the choir.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 PM

I want to know why China thinks they can get us to sanction ourselves. All we have to do is say "if you pissants at the UN sanction us, we're not going to pay for your shit any more" and they would tell China to shut the fuck up

Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

This is the same China that is saying they dont need Google, but Google needs them.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”