imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

For one of the lowest of low guns, Hi-point from what I've heard is a pretty good gun if you are short on cash, but don't hold your life to one of these. It's more of a placeholder for when you have the money to buy a better gun

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
200 bucks won't get you anything, honestly, unless you go into a pawn shop and get something beat to shit. If you want a handgun, you'll need between 4-500 bucks to start. 200 will only get you something illegaly on the street where MSRPs and actual prices don't mean shit, and you shouldn't buy illegally, EVER. If you're lucky you can get yourself an old saturday night special but good luck with that.

I suggest you wait and save your money, or just buy an airsoft gun.
This is contrary to pretty much everything I've read, as brands like Heritage, Taurus, Cobra, and many other lower-end but reliable and well-made builders produce something in that range used... But ok, thanks a lot.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 PM

Those 3 brands you mention are either not very practical for multiple uses (Heritage single action revolvers), funny looking and/or not very reliable (Hi-Point, and believe me I have heard my share of complaints about those things), or, like I said, small caliber Saturday Night Specials (Cobra). You'd be better off saving your money and buying a quality, proven firearm from the many more popular brands. A weapon for self defense, recreation, or a weapon period, is not something you should count your pennies for. Save some real money and buy something good.

Just for the record, I don't mean to be condescending or rude, I just think you could do much better than what you have in mind. You're only a couple hundred away from a Ruger or Smith & Wesson automatic pistol which as far as quality goes are miles ahead of the third rate brands you're thinking of.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Those 3 brands you mention are either not very practical for multiple uses (Heritage single action revolvers), funny looking and/or not very reliable (Hi-Point, and believe me I have heard my share of complaints about those things), or, like I said, small caliber Saturday Night Specials (Cobra). You'd be better off saving your money and buying a quality, proven firearm from the many more popular brands. A weapon for self defense, recreation, or a weapon period, is not something you should count your pennies for. Save some real money and buy something good.

Just for the record, I don't mean to be condescending or rude, I just think you could do much better than what you have in mind. You're only a couple hundred away from a Ruger or Smith & Wesson automatic pistol which as far as quality goes are miles ahead of the third rate brands you're thinking of.
I'd prefer a revolver, single action is fine with me.

"Funny looking" sure is relative.

We're including .22s in the conversation, so caliber is also debatable.

I'd actually prefer NOT to have an automatic pistol. I believe I said I was looking for a revolver.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 PM

Used ruger gp-100s can be found around 350-400 in excellent condition. .357/.38 spc
Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 AM

Well, even with revolvers, you can save a couple extra hundred and get a good Ruger or Smith & Wesson for that, in .22 or .357 mag or whatever. I just recommend an auto because they are easier to get comfortable with and use effectively.I'd get a Single Six over a Heritage any day just because of the brand and the quality their name carries. Trust me, you get what you pay for.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 AM

I appreciate your input, but this is my budget. I can't justify spending any more, much less actually spend anymore at this time anyway.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:10 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Why don't you just keep the amount you have now and continue saving up.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-10-2009, 05:10 AM

A device that you use for personal protection is not something you should justify spending money on, especially when it comes to 200 or 400 bucks. If you can't "justify" spending more than 200 bucks on it, I say don't even bother buying anything, or at least not a real gun. Save up for a decent piece, for your own ass, not for my benefit, or just buy a real high quality airsoft gun. I don't know anyone who has paid 200 bucks for any handgun and has been pleased, at least not with todays money rates.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Why don't you just keep the amount you have now and continue saving up.
Please see previous post.

Quote:
A device that you use for personal protection is not something you should justify spending money on, especially when it comes to 200 or 400 bucks. If you can't "justify" spending more than 200 bucks on it, I say don't even bother buying anything, or at least not a real gun. Save up for a decent piece, for your own ass, not for my benefit, or just buy a real high quality airsoft gun. I don't know anyone who has paid 200 bucks for any handgun and has been pleased, at least not with todays money rates.
I appreciate your advice. If this is the only piece you have and you intend to continue repeating it, let it be. I see your point of view, I understand it, I disagree. I could sit and spout decent items with positive reviews for around this price, but it isn't worth my time. Let others offer their recommendations. Thanks.