imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 08-30-2009, 09:47 AM

Default Here's a unique one: guns and eras, advice?

I'm working on a film that's sort of a period piece. There's a section for the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and current. Each era is written a different way to suite the period, and each one has a firearm or three in them. The guns can be from BEFORE that era, they don't have to be brand new to that time period, so long as they're still often used in that time period and (for firearms) easily accessible, so they don't look like something no one would have access to in that era. Here's what I'm looking for:

I need weapons that suit each given era and I need to find airsoft versions of them (IE non-firing replicas) for a low price. If they're slightly inaccurate in some cases, that's fine, and I can paint them if the finish looks less than convincing. It would also be nice if they were distinct, so they didn't repeat (two combat shotguns in different time periods, two revolvers, etc).

Here's the eras I need and the weapons I need for those eras...

1960s:

- (1) Lever action or bolt-action rifle, used by a novice who, over the course of the script, learns to use it proficiently at good distances, basically learning to snipe from long ranges with it
- (1) handgun or smaller sidearm that can be disassembled or at least have a clip or similar to put in... It would never be used, but kept in a case and, in a situation, the character takes too much time assembling/loading it from the case to actually use it when needed

1990s:

- (1) classic-looking revolver, but not so "classic" that it would look entirely out of place. 6 rounds would be best.

2000s:

- (1) pump action "combat" shotgun (pretty easily found cheap in airsoft weapons, so not a big deal)
- (1) handgun (again, modern-style handguns aren't hard time find in airsoft)

My main concern is the lever or bolt-action rifle, the smaller weapon that breaks down available in the 60s (NOT a revolver if I can help it), and the revolver. Please keep replica cost in mind. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:35 PM

Don't know anything about airsoft guns or whats available, but what you want seems easy enough.

1960s - basically any commercial bolt-action rifle with a wood stock and open sights would look right. A Winchester Model 70 would be ideal. As for your pistol, probably a Colt 1911, maybe even a Commander. An early S&W auto like a 39 or a 59. WW2 surplus pistols of various kinds, like a P.38 or a Beretta 1934.

1990s - Pick your Smith & Wesson. Better if it was blued and had wood grips.

2000s - Pretty much anything works.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 AM
IMFDB Admin

For the 1960s, since they don't make many good airsoft lever guns, try to find one of those M40 sniper rifles and make it look like a convincing Remington 700.

As for handgun, buy a spring Marui M1911A1. And of course the clip/magazine terminology is questionable.

For the 90s use a Colt Python, they make a decent airsoft revolver for that.

For the 2000s, pick whatever works.