imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-21-2009, 06:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default AK-47 vs M16

Now, I know we've all seen, heard about, and typed up comments ourselves, but let's do this here. What is with the battle between the AKs and the M16 families of weapons. We got AK fanboys who love the AK's invincibility and says the M16 or any AR15 variant is just a jamming low power piece of crap. Then we got the M16 lovers who shout back.

So any comments?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-21-2009, 06:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I consider myself an "AK fanboy" (I own one myself, and have been reading about them for a while). And objectively speaking, the AR-15/M16 platform is superior to the AK in most respects that matter.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:11 PM
IMFDB Admin

Way to make this forum as stereotypical as every other gun forum on the net.

M16 (as long as it is a newer design of today, no Vietnam crap) wins my vote. AKs are too clunky and ugly. Penetration and power are good but I think a better aimed shot is more important than how many powerful round you can spit out. Marksmanship is an art, spray and pray is like modern art.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:15 PM

AKs have such bad ergonomics and sights I will never own one. Not an m16 fan at all, but it wins out over the AK. m14 owns all.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:37 PM

The M14 is a heavy ass hunk of wood and steel that fires too big a round too fast. You have to be a beast to utilize one properly.

I appreciate both designs. I can't really compare them, as one was built in a country where reliability was king over ergonomics, in an era where subguns were still part of warfare due to their ability to lay down fire quickly, and the other was built by engineers in the newer age where space age junk was being applied to everything, and soldier/rifle interface was the primary concern in the design. The AK is the better "killing" gun, while the M16 is the better rifle, in it's most elegant terms (insert Marine Creed here).
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 PM

First, not all m14s are wood. By fast, do you mean muzzle velocity? Because velocity is good. The big round pierces the cover 556 bounces off, and drops people more effectviely. And who cares about full auto. Its a rifle, not a subgun.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Even the fiberglass/synthetic models are hefty, and by too fast I mean fully automatic fire rate, which, if you're trying to compare the M14 to other Assault Rifles, you'd factor in. Most countries don't use full size rifle cartridges in guns other than support weapons like machineguns. It's a good cartridge and the M14 is a decent weapon, you just need to control it.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 AM

I'll just do some random function comparisons.

Weight:
Advantage - M16 platform

Safety/Selector:
Advantage - M16 is easier to operate with one hand, AK variants require reposition of hand, and have longer travel.

Magazine:
Advantage - M16 drops out with one hand while other hand makes switch. AK requires entire operation to be handled one handed, or by moving hands off the rifle, plus removing and inserting magazine is harder to do quickly(paddle release is not easy)

Bolt/charging handle:
Advantage - M16 bolt release is easy to reach, and even the charging handle can be operated without moving your rifle off target. AK variants bolt is on the wrong side requiring reaching over the rifle or moving your trigger hand off.

BUUUUUUUUUUT........
That could be moot if you don't take care of your M16 and it gets dirty.
I would have to say that the AK is a great weapon to give to untrained people as even though the operation is more awkward, it's probably not going to slow them down since they can't do it fast either way. Also, if they can't perform takedown and maintanence, the AK's resistance to dirt and stuff will mean dirt will only impact performance, not outright function.

I may be off base here. But I think I am not.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 AM

Actually being in the military and having used both (real ones too, not commercial copies), I'm very glad to be going to war with a C7. It's easier to use, far more accurate, lighter (weight is only minor to people who've never actually done a ruck march), and actually sized for someone who grew up with proper nutrition. Yeah, it's a bitch to clean, but if you do your part it is a reliable weapon.

The AK is very good at doing exactly was it was intended to - clear a trench in the hands of a soldier who dismounted from his BTR less than 200 meters away. It's a great short range bullet hose, but in the hands of a trained soldier the M16 series is far better.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 PM

Weight is a problem. In the US Army a typical load is around 80 lbs. It can be over 110 lbs depending on the weapons and gears.

You can carry twice as much 5.56 ammo for the same amount of weight of 7.62 x 51 NATO. Standard 5.56 magazine is 30 rounds. Standard 7.62 x 51 NATO magazine is 20 rounds. 210 5.56 vs 100 7.62 rounds. That's the trade off.

Someone posted that AK are "disposable weapons for disposable troops." Which is more or less correct.

Don't get me wrong the AK is the best rifle in its class. I own two in my collection but when it comes down to it I'll go with my six AR.