imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Battle of Long Tran ADMINS take note

To the other admins:

Crackshot wants to create a page for a documentary http://www.imfdb.org/w/index.php?tit...n&rcid=578032]

The user wrote in the page's description that this should be eligible because there are re-enactments in the film that use the weapons.

Based on the description the user has provided, I believe this still falls under the documentary banner and thus is not eligible for inclusion.

ADMINS, please let your views be known.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 PM
IMFDB Admin

I was never against documentaries being on here. I rather have them than some of the reality TV shows, that are grandfathered in.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I was never against documentaries being on here. I rather have them than some of the reality TV shows, that are grandfathered in.
I am totally against documentaries. It is a slippery slope. Would we allow Bowling for Columbine? What then? 60 minutes episodes? anti gun documentaries made by the major networks? The problem is that documentaries make heavy use of real life footage. that is not 'usage of firearms in the furtherance of entertainment media'. That's like putting on the evening news channel and watching combat footage from the middle east. No armorer or propmaster or artist had anything to do with that. Just like those reality TV shows like COPS. We don't document what the departments use. It falls outside of the scope of IMFDB.

Reenactments themselves don't make a title qualify for inclusion. If so then we would be putting in all those History channel historical shows that had reenactments in them, like "Tales of the Gun" or "Western Tech" or "M3", etc. etc. Now someone pointed out Kokoda as an example. I have not seen Kokoda but the screenshots sure look like a movie. If that is a sizeable portion of the production, then perhaps. But right now I see no SCREENCAPS of "The Battle of Long Tan" that look like a movie. In fact as of this writing, I see no screencaps at all. If it continues like this, it will be deleted regardless.....
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

The reason there's no screencaps because Ben told him not to do anymore work until it's decided it was going to be allowed or not.

I would love for Bowling for Columbine to be on here. So all the idiotic shit could be pointed out. Like the kid with the shotgun "concealed" in his baggy pants. Try walking a few feet and see if it's not noticeable.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I would love for Bowling for Columbine to be on here. So all the idiotic shit could be pointed out. Like the kid with the shotgun "concealed" in his baggy pants. Try walking a few feet and see if it's not noticeable.
Yeah, but then you'll get the kind of user who IDs every gun on every page as "assault weapon" coming to defend it ("Bruce Willis uses an [[assault weapon]]. I don't know what it is but it should be banned.") . Plus I don't think the server could stand containing that much raw, condensed stupid.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
Yeah, but then you'll get the kind of user who IDs every gun on every page as "assault weapon" coming to defend it ("Bruce Willis uses an [[assault weapon]]. I don't know what it is but it should be banned.") . Plus I don't think the server could stand containing that much raw, condensed stupid.
Very true.

But I think at least historical documentaries be allowed.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

I agree with MPM that there's too many documentaries with re-enactments that would have to be allowed I feel if this one is eligible. I got Kokoda the documentary confused with the film, but I think that the documentary probably shouldn't have been allowed as well. There are plenty of scripted media to make pages for.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Very true.

But I think at least historical documentaries be allowed.
Yes, Predator20, your position is well known. For the record, I completely disagree.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I am totally against documentaries. It is a slippery slope. Would we allow Bowling for Columbine? What then? 60 minutes episodes? anti gun documentaries made by the major networks? The problem is that documentaries make heavy use of real life footage. that is not 'usage of firearms in the furtherance of entertainment media'. That's like putting on the evening news channel and watching combat footage from the middle east. No armorer or propmaster or artist had anything to do with that. Just like those reality TV shows like COPS. We don't document what the departments use. It falls outside of the scope of IMFDB.

Reenactments themselves don't make a title qualify for inclusion. If so then we would be putting in all those History channel historical shows that had reenactments in them, like "Tales of the Gun" or "Western Tech" or "M3", etc. etc.
Sums up my opinion on the matter.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 06-26-2012, 03:00 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I just looked in the rules, and I couldn't find the part that bars documentaries and reality shows. Is this ban still in place?