imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 AM

dude, revolvers are kickass
i'd rather have a revolver than a automatic
cough cough S&W model 60 cough cough
Old 01-26-2011, 02:06 AM

8 shot 627, partial lug, 4 inch, action job, moon clipped, chamfered and polished cylinders, pachmayr grips. Ultimate revolver.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-26-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
8 shot 627, partial lug, 4 inch, action job, moon clipped, chamfered and polished cylinders, pachmayr grips. Ultimate revolver.
686 FTW. It's actually acquireable

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 01-26-2011, 03:22 AM

Who says you can only own one smith and wesson?

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Who says you can only own one smith and wesson?
Have revolvers carrying 5 shots, 6 shots, 7 shots, and 8 shots!

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 01-26-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Have revolvers carrying 5 shots, 6 shots, 7 shots, and 8 shots!
smith and wesson 317?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:55 PM

It's funny to see you guys with revolver boners talk about Smiths that are still in their catalog. I'd take my buddy's 70's workhorse Model 65 over anything you all have mentioned.

And it can't be that hard to get ahold of a 627. I've shot one (and I enjoy my Model 19 a whole lot more : D).

Oh yeah for the sake of being on topic, DAO pistols offer the safety of a double action trigger, with a consistent trigger pull. If the weight were light enough, it wouldn't be so bad, but usually they aren't, well over 10 pounds or so, and assuredly worse than a good revolver trigger, all kinds of creep everywhere. Then, you have the fact that you have to pull that nicely tuned double action revolver trigger 5, 6 or however many times to expend all of your shots, whereas you have to pull that DAO auto trigger 15 times, and it's going to be crappier every time. I can see it being really awesome if it's done right, but the thing is, it isn't really ever done right. SIG DAKs are probably the closest anything comes to a good DAO, since they are set at the good SIG DA trigger weight, but goddamn SIG triggers are creeptastic, I wouldn't be surprised if it were too.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 01-26-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:00 PM

I like k frames but want something that can conortably shoot magnums all day, and hold 8 shots.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-26-2011, 02:21 PM

A 627 can't shoot Magnums all day, at least not forever. The one I used was broken, in fact. The single action sear was nearly nonexistent, making cocking the hammer almost impossible, and when it would stay at full cock, the slightest tap on the hammer would send it forward. Not only that, but the gun had developed a gap between the frame and the cylinder, which had gotten so big that the firing pin wouldn't always strike the primer fully, resulting in, what, misfires.

I'll be honest, I may be confusing the 627 with the 620 I shot in the same day, but in any case, the modern Smith did not survive it's usage without scars. On the other end, K frames have been reported with cracked forcing cones, but it'll take the hottest loads or handloads and repeated useage of them to cause that, and in shooting all those loads, your wrist and wallet are also going to hurt and your really just forcing overkill through your gun. Even mid power .357 loads are ballistically superior to a lot of autopistol loads, so unless you're trying to hunt big game with your small gun by feeding it gigantic loads like that, you're overdoing it severely (and even then, the forcing cone only may crack, it's not definite).

This probably isn't the rule, but it's what I've experienced and what I've come to find as some kind of truth. Granted an old Smith does not hold 8 shots, it's still just as, if not more serviceable than a modern one in my opinion, and in getting one, you have a new level of pride of ownership and a lot of money saved in your pocket to boot.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM

Id be happy with any smith honestly. The old blued guns without the lock look better to me but they all shoot just as well. Of course my opinions vary from internet consensus, kinda like how I hate colt.

Grunt, Mass effect 3