imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 PM

Question Another Challenge

Not wishing to detract from Nyles' challenge (which I sucked at), but I thought I'd offer one of my own. Hope it's not too easy for ya...

I hasten to add that the weaponry below isn't mine (I live in the UK where such things are not possible), this is a promotional picture from that classic FPS "Project IGI", which was notable for being one of the first to have both extensive and realistic portrayals of modern weaponry. There's even a page for it in IMFDB, but I'm sure you can do this without looking there for help!

At the time (back in 2003) it took me months to identify all of them, and that was with help from friends and the net, so my challenge is: can you do better?!

Answers are numbered 1 - 28.

P.S. Might I suggest that if you want to avoid spoilers, you put your answers in white text like this that can only be read if you highlight it? Then those that want a go can do so without seeing your answers. Especially those of you who get them all right first go...!

Last edited by DamageW; 01-08-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

No, offense, but it is a bit easier than Nyles', simply because a lot of these are guns I imagine most of us grew up reading about. Funny how some of them were once touted as "the future" when I was a kid, but they never wound up getting adopted...

Also, "Project IGI" in 2003? I used to own that game, and I got it for Christmas in 2000. Main thing I remember about it was that (1.) The enemy AI was terrible, and (2.) The game actually had enemy respawns. The landscapes looked cool and the weapons were realistically portrayed, though.

Anyway...

(1.) RPG-7
(2.) MAC-10
(3.) LAW-80 (which it clearly says on the texture of the model)
(4.) Pancor Jackhammer
(5.) H&K G36E
(6.) SVD
(7.) PSG-1
(8.) H&K SMG II
(9.) M16(A2?) + M203
(10.) This one's a bit tougher...H&K GMW Light?
(11.) Steyr AUG A1
(12.) AKMS
(13.) Barrett M82/M107
(14.) Benelli M4 Super 90
(15.) H&K G11
(16.) Glock 17
(17.) IMI Desert Eagle
(18.) H&K MP5A3
(19.) Glock 17 + suppressor
(20.) Makarov PM w/ threaded barrel
(21.) Chinese Type 64 SMG
(22.) Franchi SPAS-12
(23.) Colt Anaconda
(24.) FN Minimi
(25.) IMI Uzi or Mini Uzi without stock
(26.) M26 grenades
(27.) M84 flash bang
(28.) Mk. 3 (?)
Old 01-09-2009, 01:37 AM

Thumbs up

Yeah, I didn't think it'd be that much of a challenge for you guys, more like a bit of fun...! As for Nyles', I got about 4 on there, but I was too embarrased to post and say so!

IGI was indeed 2000, I found the image above hidden away in the install directory years later. I agree with your gameplay comments, I loved it (and still do, I play it from time to time) because it was the first ever game where they gave you an M16 that actually looked and sounded right - and was the first game I saw that had proper muzzle flash! Yes, I'm easily pleased, but back then the only other thing half-decent was Soldier of Fortune, and the weapons in that were over-the-top and cartoony to the max...

At that time I was just starting to take more than a casual interest in firearms (hence not being able to name any of them back then), looking at it now it's funny to see just how commonplace they are, especially in movies..

Anyway, top work, mate, looks like you nailed pretty much all of it. Here's my responses:

3. Yeah, I did think of erasing the stencil but I thought, what the hell!
4. Gun of the future indeed, can't believe this still keeps popping up in games and movies even though it was never actually produced...
10. My apologies, the image is truncated. I reckon this is a Browning M2 50.cal, you can see the vent holes in the lopped-off barrel.
12. You got me there, I didn't notice the folding stock, I just had AK-47...
14. Yep, I just had M1014, you had to go one better! ; -)
21. Yep. This was the very last one I found, took me ages!
23. You're absolutely right. I had this wrong, the flat sheen on the barrel should've given it away. My bad!
26. I had M61 grenades, but I've no idea how you tell the difference.
28. USMC KA-BAR knife, was my view.

All the rest are spot on - and usually more detailed than what I had!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:31 AM
IMFDB Admin

No offense but these look weird. I mean they're pretty good when it comes to video game graphics, but the details or weird dimensions throw me off.

Oh and my condolences about your situation in the U.K. the gun banners are trying their best to do the same here in the U.S. I've written nasty letters, especially to the UK press when they bash gun ownership and I made a pest of myself especially during the British Gun confiscations of 1997. But it's hard to fight the 'jack booted thugs' when a 'right to bear arms' is not codified within your governmental rules. At least we had the victorious "Heller Decision" in the US Supreme court. Don't know if the enemies of gun ownership care one bit.

PS I won't post a pic of my gun collection Don't have to. Y'all have seen most of them already in the solo pics. Here's one I sent to MT2008

The tagged items need replacement parts and/or fixing before they can fire Also instead of just pristine solo pics, I'm thinking of taking some shots of piles of guns when I'm setting up for a gig.

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 01-11-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 PM

Just out of curiosity, how do you like that Minimi? I've got a real hate on for the C9 since my soldier qual course.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:15 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I already took MPM's quiz, so I'll sit this one out and let someone else try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Also instead of just pristine solo pics, I'm thinking of taking some shots of piles of guns when I'm setting up for a gig.
That WOULD be really awesome to see. I've seen such things before, usually on DVD special features, but it would be cool to see something like that from you.

Does your company have a dedicated weapons truck where you store weapons for shows that are REALLY gun-intensive? If you've seen our "Assault On Precinct 13" page (for the remake, not the original), the armorer who worked on that movie had what he called a "mobile armory". Do you have a vehicle like that?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you like that Minimi? I've got a real hate on for the C9 since my soldier qual course.
There is a big difference between weapons modified to fire blanks and live fire. The experience between one and the other are very different. Live Fire doesn't jam as much. We're always fine tuning our guns to cycle. And Blanks are always much filthier than live rounds. Fire just one magazine, and then wipe off the bolt carrier with your thumb, it looks like a chimney sweep. Don't know what you don't like about the minimi though. I've never had a problem with them.

It's funny. I always get some actor or non-gun person asking me "So which is your favorite?" I always answer "The ones that fire blanks without stoppages". Hahahaha. They have no idea what I'm talking about. Since 99% of my gun experience is NOT firing live but BLANK firing on sets, I don't have a preference as far as accuracy or shot placement or functioning with live ammo.

As for MT2008, nope only the RICH weapons guys have dedicated vans or trucks. (i.e. the guys who get all the work, who are 'connected' and get hired for all the big movie jobs). The rest of us are so ghetto when it comes to delivering guns to the set. Title I guns are easy. Any vehicle you can get your hands on. I once drove to the desert with a rental van filled with shotguns, pistols and sniper rifles. Title II (i.e. Class III) guns are fine as long as the vehicle is registered as being operated by an authorized person. One of the full auto "On Set armorers" (i.e. the guys who borrow from the rental houses and work on the movie set), had a beat up old PONTIAC as his Class III authorized vehicle. I remember once he was stopped by the Highway Patrol and his trunk was filled with MP5s, M16s and full auto AKs. Of course he had all his paperwork with him and they just wrote him a citation and let him go.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:09 AM

Actually, most of our training in the army is done with blanks - live fire section attacks are really dangerous, espescially with reservists. I've only done it once, and believe me, the sound of live rounds going over your head focuses you right the hell up. I certainly know what you mean about dirt - one of the worst things I've ever seen as a firearms exthusiast was the interior of a C9 barrel buddy hadn't cleaned after 5 days of firing blanks. Thing was gummed so bad I needed a hammer to move the gas regulator switch.

Reason I dislike it so much is that in my experience, it's just not a well-made gun (particularly compared to the C6 / MAG) . Lots of parts breakage - I knocked the front sight off of one, we had two guns where the tab that holds the feed cover in the open position broke off, a bent bipod, cracked handguard, rusted up barrel (though I blame the operator for that one).

I haven't noticed an unreasonable amount of jams (except using it with a mag, but we never do), but seeing so many of them break leaves me with no confidence in the weapon. Granted, these guns were subjected to rough handling, but it's a military weapon, you'd expect it to be. Only problem we had with even a C7 was someone cross-threading a BFA, and none with the C6.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Actually, most of our training in the army is done with blanks - live fire section attacks are really dangerous, espescially with reservists.
I wasn't referring to CQB training (which is all blanks and BFAs). I was mostly referring to live fire on the range or active duty use in Iraq or Afghanistan. So far, my buddies in the sand box don't have that much trouble with them. I' recently fired LIVE at a law enforcement weapons range (pretty much the only place you can fire full auto without anyone batting an eyelash). I got to dump 600 rounds in one sitting with no stoppages. Again, what's with the guns in Canada anyway? I find it hard to believe you guys up north don't get that much live fire time. Is that true? I know our Canuck friends had troops helping us in Iraq and Afghanistan. Have any of them complained about the M249?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

BTW: The grenades are too damned big for the original pic. Hmmmm. I was tempted to replicate this image with live guns