imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 07-25-2009, 05:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default So why are people putting charts in REVERSE chrono order again?

I'm seeing a lot of boxes in reverse Chronological order, i.e. most recent first and then going backwards in time.

If there was some sort of consensus or VOTE by the other Mods, then I'm all for it.

BUT....

I made a point in the past that this doesn't make sense to me. When scholarly pages (and imfdb IS for movie/gun buffs and scholars in a way) mention the appearance of items (like the advent of the siege machine or gun powder) they START at the very FIRST appearance of that item. They don't start with the most recent and work backwards.

When car historians talk about the FORD MUSTANG, they don't list info about the latest model before they talk about the model's FIRST appearance on the car scene.

When I first made the Steyr AUG page, I noted that the first verifiable instance of seeing it in a movie/TV show was ~1983. Now I'm actively looking for ANY film BEFORE 1983 where it appears just to see if I can nail down the actual FIRST TIME that gun appears in cinema. I think THAT is more interesting than knowing what movies it appeared in .. THIS YEAR.

Just a question, which hasn't been addressed yet. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

Well the point is so people can find the newest most popular movies first, and then scroll down farther to find the older movies. You can still see what is documented as the first movie, it's just at the bottom of the list and not the top.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:05 AM

That doesn't seem particularly rational: the newest movies aren't always the most popular, for a start.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

I didn't think it up, I just do it because everyone else does.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

There was a consensus to put the latest movie at the top of the chart. It was even set up that way when originally laid out. If you look at the credits in IMDB the most recent film is at the top. That's the way it should be on all layouts.

When I get back Sunday I will bring it up and some other items to all the Admins as there is still as standardization issue.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:27 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
There was a consensus to put the latest movie at the top of the chart. It was even set up that way when originally laid out. If you look at the credits in IMDB the most recent film is at the top. That's the way it should be on all layouts.
The reason why IMDB does it is because IMDB is focus on the people, i.e. actors or crew, so people want to see what the latest thing they've done is. But when I research the history of an inanimate object like a CAR or a GUN, I don't often want to see the Latest thing it's been seen in. The research materials always starts at the chronological beginning and then moves forward.

That's the difference between living people and inanimate object. We all have an interest in 'What are they doing NOW?" when it comes to people's careers. Whereas I never ask the question "what is it doing now?" when I'm curious about the M1911A1......
Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM
IMFDB Admin

Most people want to see the latest event first. We have to remember that this project is for the world to see and not our own little deal. That is the reason it was decided to place it in that order.

I know that working on other wikis it is easier to list the newer items last but it highlights the latest shows the way we are doing it by have them at the top of the list. We all need to get on to be on the same page with this. Also I believe there are more pages with reverse than not so which do we want.

Let's get together on this.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Most people want to see the latest event first. We have to remember that this project is for the world to see and not our own little deal. That is the reason it was decided to place it in that order.
I don't think they do, actually. People are just as likely to want to see any given weapon on the list, since they might want to look up any given movie on the list. I don't like having them in what I see as reverse order either, I'd have to say.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:11 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Most people want to see the latest event first.
Sorry, I respectfully disagree with that statement I re-assert my position that it is true, while tracking people's Careers, you want to see the most recent event.

It's the classic "What have you done lately?" just like a resume.

BUT .... When I'm doing historical research (which is what I do A LOT) especially in the non-weapons aspect of my job, I always find out when it first appeared BEFORE i find out when it last appeared.

Case in point- while working on ANOTHER prohibition movie, I discovered through research that the Chicago Police Uniforms in the 1987 Film 'The Untouchables" were anachronistic, and would not be adopted until six years AFTER the setting of the film. They would have been wearing the old NYPD style double breasted tunic with the five pointed star, versus the military coat with Sam Brown belt and the six pointed star that appears in the movie. Knowing when the uniform was discontinued would be less helpful than knowing when it was adopted.

Again, I will accede to the vote of the majority of the MODs. But I don't buy that 'everyone wants to see it a certain way'

Historians don't list eras or trends or items in reverse chronological order. It depends if the MODS want IMFDB to be a scholarly historical site or a pop culture trends/Career tracking site like IMDB, because IMDB really focused on tracking what is POPULAR with the masses at the moment. (which is why they have that stupid Starmeter tracking system)

Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

It isn't a huge deal either way really, if you want to see where it all began, you could read from the bottom up or vice versa.

I understand what you are saying, but think about this. How many not-well-know gangster movies from the 1920s-30s-40s-50s would have to be scrolled through on the M1911 page before people found more well known movies? Could this possibly turn off some users?

One thing to bring up, aren't we considered the IMDb of firearms? Wouldn't following how they work make us more of a sister site to them? Just wondering.