imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 10-11-2010, 03:27 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Does ANYONE actually look at the full sized gun pics?

Just wondering. I like to 'drill down' and click on the gun pics to see them FULL sized. Which is why I've been making the original gun pics I take pretty large. But I've noticed that the vast majority of viewers only look at the smaller thumbnails. I even asked people, and some of them don't even know that you can click on the image until it gets to maximum size.

To save space, should I start making the gun images smaller? If people only look at the 600px thumbnail, then why make it any bigger? And save IMFDB some server space?

This?

or this?

---------------------------------------

This?

or this?

This is not a scientific survey, just wondering what folks thought.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

I would keep them full size, that way if you're comparing two similar guns, you can see the details and differences better.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I would keep them full size, that way if you're comparing two similar guns, you can see the details and differences better.
I agree! That's how I teach myself to distinguish between weapons when the visual differences aren't obvious from looking at the smaller thumbnails. It's how I learned to distinguish the differences between the gazillion different FAL/L1A1 clones and the Ruger P-series pistols (P85 vs. P89 vs. P90), for example. Even when there's a visual description of the differences between variants/derivatives on the gun page, being able to reference high-res images helps me in committing those differences to memory.

It may be true that most IMFDB users never bother to look at the gun pictures in high-res; they either don't know this is possible, or don't care. But the same applies to the movie/TV screencaps. You might as well ask, why bother posting Blu-Ray and HDTV images if the typical IMFDB user will never reap the benefits by enlarging the image to full-size? (and in thumbnails, high-def screencaps rarely look much better than DVD screencaps)

Also, hasn't Bunni said that server space isn't a huge issue? That doesn't mean we shouldn't clean up the server by ditching unused files (it's a good habit to get into), but I'm not sure we need to obsess over it.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 PM

I do. It's a weird habit I have.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 10-12-2010, 03:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
but I'm not sure we need to obsess over it.
Uh, no one is obsessing over anything. It was just a question.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:33 AM

I say continue with the big pics, I still use them.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:37 AM

KEEP THE BIG PICS, because your gun images are so high-resolution you have brought IMFDB the highest quality gun images that ANYONE will be able to find in the entire interwebs. To make them smaller will only make this site's custom taken gun images inferior to google images!

-RANT END
Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Site Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
KEEP THE BIG PICS, because your gun images are so high-resolution you have brought IMFDB the highest quality gun images that ANYONE will be able to find in the entire interwebs. To make them smaller will only make this site's custom taken gun images inferior to google images!

-RANT END
Keep'em big. Storage is cheap.